Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

chiefweasel

Old September 7th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Just a quick question, how can I change the name of a file once i have tested items in it? For instance, I have a file of feats, but i want to change the name to something else, but when I do i get a list of errors for duplicate items from the last file. so how can i get rid of the old file and replace it? Thanks.
chiefweasel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Can't you just rename it in windows? It sounds like what you might have tried to do is to "save as..." within HL, which still leaves the old copy around.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old September 8th, 2009, 06:18 AM
You can, using the save as option, it creates a new file. but when you try to use that file every item from the old file comes up as an error, saying duplicate entry. So nothing works. It seems like the only way to change a file name and use the new file is to delete every entry in the old file first, then compile the new file. But if you have many items in the old file that can take a long time. Just looking for a better way to swap information between files.
chiefweasel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 8th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Just take the old file out of the d20 folder and it will no longer cause errors. You can either move it somewhere else as a backup (I keep mine on a key drive) or just delete it if you are not paranoid.

As a note, usually when I am renaming files I go to the d20 folder and right click on the file, enter a new name and shazam! It's done. Only have a problem if the file is currently open in the editor.
Lawful_g is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old September 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
You can merge the Xml data from the old file into the new file overwriting the unneeded entries in your favourite Xml editor, By copying and pasting. This saved me a load of time on my Complete Warrior feats.

I did this with a backup of an old file and it worked a treat, I just deleted the older file after verifying that it loaded well into Hero Lab, Just in case.
bodrin is offline   #5 Reply With Quote