Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

zeepee

Old November 15th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Just updated to the new version of Hero Lab on all my machines.

I am running a split environment between Mac and PC, and I have Hero Lab running on both systems.

After I upgraded to the new version, I suddenly receives an error (see attached file) on my Mac every time I try to open a portfolio made on the PC.

Then I tried making a new portfolio on my Mac, save it and then opening it on my PC. Same problem.

I have been running Hero Lab for about a year now, and I have never encountered this problem before the last update (Mac version 4.1 - #338 / PC version 4.1 - #337)

Have anyone else encountered similar problems, or is just me..?

Or have I missed an announcement regarding missing compability in the initial release of version 4.1 due to the new save format..?

/Zeepee
Attached Images
File Type: png Error.png (478.4 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by zeepee; November 16th, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
zeepee is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zeepee

Old November 16th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Just a quick update

I have tried to reinstall two of my systems today, one of my Mac's (Mountain Lion) and one of my PC's (Windows 8 Enterprise), to see if the problem continues on a "freshly" installed system.

Unfortunately it does, so I don't think it is just my systems anymore. Still it would be nice to hear if anyone else has encountered this - Anyone..?

I have a gaming night tomorrow and this issue is becoming a little annoying. I am the GM and I usually keep a portfolio with all the players characters in it. However now I can't update it because I can't import their updated characters anymore, as some of my player uses Hero Lab on a Mac and others on the PC.
So the only solution I can think of right now, is to open the Mac characters on the Mac and the PC characters on the PC, and then make a master file where I update the changes manually.

So please Lone Wolf, if you can reproduce the error, then help a fellow gamer out..

BTW: I opened a support case regarding this issue, just in case that Lone Wolf haven't seen this yet - Case number 5406

Last edited by zeepee; November 16th, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
zeepee is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 28th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Hi Zeepee,

Try launching the game system within Hero Lab, then going to File -> Open to load the portfolio. Does that allow you to load the files?
Colen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zeepee

Old November 28th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Hi Colen,

When I try to open a portfolio within Hero Lab I actually get another error, this time with an error code and a log file.

I tried accessing the log, but unfortunately it doesn't tell me very much about what causes the error (see attached files).

The error does however mention the data author, so I thought why not test that a little bit further. I can also see that I forgot to mention which systems I use in my earlier posts, sorry about that.

I currently have a licenses for both Pathfinder and Shadowrun, tonight I tried making new portfolios in both systems, one the Mac and on the PC.

I then tried opening them again on the opposite system, all fails to open, and all report the exact same error.

PS:
I have renamed the attached log file to txt in order to upload it.

/Zeepee
Attached Images
File Type: png Error2.png (169.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png Error3.png (176.3 KB, 4 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt hero_lab_load_issues.txt (160 Bytes, 3 views)

Last edited by zeepee; November 28th, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
zeepee is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zeepee

Old November 28th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Finally found the source of the problem..

It appears that Hero Lab requires not just reading access, but also writing access on networks shares where portfolios are stored, in order to just opening them (I guess something is extracted in that opening process, this is probably listed somewhere in the manual already, which we IT guys always reads before using the software.. )

Anyway, in my mixed Mac/PC environment, each system has its own storage area on the network, and the Mac environment only has reading access to PC network shares and vice versa (why this, well its primary due to limit the unwanted changes made automatically by the opposite system as well as limiting the automatic creation of hidden system files etc.)
I know it sounds strange, but I am a "control freak" and it have worked very well for me for years.

Bottom line is, I found what was causing the error, and it is probably by design. I have no problem with this and I will adapt this into my way of working with Hero Lab.

However I do apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused by posting about this, especially if it is known issue, that I should have known about..

Hmmm.. I wonder why I haven't encountered this error before now though.

/Zeepee
zeepee is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 30th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks for following up with your solution, Zeepee. When Hero Lab opens a saved portfolio, it does decompress the contents, but it does so to your temporary directory, not to the same folder the portfolio is in. I'm surprised that it doesn't work when the network share is read-only - that seems like a bug to me. I'll have to do some investigating with our compression library and see why it's doing that.

Would you mind emailing me at colen@wolflair.com so I can get in touch with you later? If I can figure out a fix for this it'd be great to get a confirmation from you that it works before generally releasing it.

Thanks for posting the error message, as it'll be very helpful for tracking down exactly what's going on with the issue.
Colen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
zeepee

Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:02 AM
Sure, I would love to help out..

I have sent you an email with my contact info.

Thank you for investigating this.

/Zeepee
zeepee is offline   #7 Reply With Quote