Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

FifthWanderer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 3rd, 2007, 04:12 PM
I downloaded the demo for Hero Lab today, and am duly impressed. However, I'd like to know when we'll be able to create data files for non-d20 games. One of my current favorite systems is FATE 3.0/Spirit of the Century, and I'd like to be able to use Hero Lab for it.
FifthWanderer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Giddoen

Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:10 PM
yeah support for aqny FUDGE game system would be great.

Giddoen

I have faith!...my character sheet says so!
Giddoen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old February 4th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I am hoping for an update on the promised Developer's Kit myself, so I can do some oft hat on my own.
MPHopcroft is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
wilcoxon

Old February 5th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I'm glad to hear they have promised a developer kit (at GenCon, they were not sure if they were going to).

Hero Lab looks like an interesting product but I will not be buying (or even trying) it until there is a developer kit. Most of the non-D&D games I play are small-press so I would not expect official support for them (and I use other programs/spreadsheets for D&D).
wilcoxon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM
At 05:12 PM 2/3/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I downloaded the demo for Hero Lab today, and am duly impressed. However, I'd like to know when we'll be able to create data files for non-d20 games. One of my current favorite systems is FATE 3.0/Spirit of the Century, and I'd like to be able to use Hero Lab for it.
I've got my copy of Spirit of the Century sitting here right next to my desk, so I wholly understand wanting support for it. :-)

As for users writing data files for other game systems, we have two key factors to reconcile with HL....

First, there is the need for documentation and the learning curve involved in creating data files from scratch. There is a LOT of complexity to start from scratch. Our current plan is to do a few game systems internally before we make it possible for users to do this. The reason is that we want to first identify where we can simplify and streamline the process, as well as get all the necessary pieces documented fully. That way, users will be able to get data files developed with the least amount of difficulty.

Second, RPGs are a different beast from miniatures and card games. For RPG publishers, the books are the key source of revenue (only source?) instead of just a vehicle for selling the minis/cards. So we have to be mindful to ensure that the RPG publishers are (a) onboard with the creation of HL data files and (b) get a piece of the action. If the data files are wholly created by users without any sort of controls, this could really tick off the publishers, since overly detailed data files could eliminate the need to buy the books. We still need to work out how to solve this in a way that works well for everyone involved. That's why everything we're doing so far is under formal license with the publishers. We're working on a solution to this one, but it's not all sorted out yet.

-Rob
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
wilcoxon

Old February 5th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
At 05:12 PM 2/3/2007, you wrote:
First, there is the need for documentation and the learning curve involved in creating data files from scratch. There is a LOT of complexity to start from scratch. Our current plan is to do a few game systems internally before we make it possible for users to do this. The reason is that we want to first identify where we can simplify and streamline the process, as well as get all the necessary pieces documented fully. That way, users will be able to get data files developed with the least amount of difficulty.
Completely understandable. Any data file format that can support multiple completely different game systems in a character generator will have complex files with a steap learning curve for creation of anything very intricate.

Quote:
Second, RPGs are a different beast from miniatures and card games. For RPG publishers, the books are the key source of revenue (only source?) instead of just a vehicle for selling the minis/cards. So we have to be mindful to ensure that the RPG publishers are (a) onboard with the creation of HL data files and (b) get a piece of the action. If the data files are wholly created by users without any sort of controls, this could really tick off the publishers, since overly detailed data files could eliminate the need to buy the books. We still need to work out how to solve this in a way that works well for everyone involved. That's why everything we're doing so far is under formal license with the publishers. We're working on a solution to this one, but it's not all sorted out yet.
It would seem like the easy way of handling this would be to give guidelines for the amount of detail that is acceptable for user-created data files (less than what would be in a purchased one unless the company grants permission). If someone provides more information, disallow hosting/distribution via the offical HL site and possibly put a clause in the EULA disallowing distribution via other channels (not really enforcible but should cover Lone Wolf). There is definitely a fine line between too little info and infringing levels of info in a character creation application.
wilcoxon is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 9th, 2007, 09:13 PM
At 09:31 PM 2/5/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
It would seem like the easy way of handling this would be to give guidelines for the amount of detail that is acceptable for user-created data files (less than what would be in a purchased one unless the company grants permission). If someone provides more information, disallow hosting/distribution via the offical HL site and possibly put a clause in the EULA disallowing distribution via other channels (not really enforcible but should cover Lone Wolf). There is definitely a fine line between too little info and infringing levels of info in a character creation application.
I wholly agree in principle. The challenge is in drawing a line that would be considered equally "reasonable" by our judicial system AND by the myriad RPG publishers out there.

-Rob
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote