Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:28 AM
Hi everyone,

This month, we've been laying the groundwork for some changes to how money works in Pathfinder. In the next Pathfinder release, you'll see a few of those changes:
  1. Starting cash is more robustly implemented and can now be changed on the Classes tab, after you pick a class for the character. Level 1 PCs can have Hero Lab roll their starting cash (using the correct value for their class), while NPCs and higher-level PCs have their starting cash automatically set to the appropriate values. (You can still set your own custom starting cash values if you want, and we're not changing any starting cash values on existing heroes.)
  2. The Journal tab will now show a transaction log of the purchases and sales you've made, including the items that were bought and sold, and their cost.
  3. You can now customize the names, values and weights of the coins used for purchasing, and define up to 4 additional coin types (if you wanted to rename "gold pieces" to "steel pieces", for example, or to define additional coin types entirely).

Before making further changes, we wanted to ask you, our users, what features and functions are missing from Hero Lab's buying / selling mechanics. When you're purchasing or selling gear, what do you want to do that Hero Lab doesn't support? What other features would be useful in your games?

Thanks for your help!
Colen is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Togainu

Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:51 AM
Not sure if this will fall under this already or not (and instead under UI together with these changes). But being able to search for things that you can currently afford/a range between 2 price points you can set.

Thanks already for the hard work that went into this and is still going into this
Togainu is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
brock

Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:51 AM
(2) is very helpful indeed for Pathfinder Society Play. Being able to easily output that on a separate piece of paper would be useful, or even just get the data out as XML so I can reformat it myself.
brock is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
brock

Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Togainu View Post
Not sure if this will fall under this already or not (and instead under UI together with these changes). But being able to search for things that you can currently afford/a range between 2 price points you can set.
As an extension of the current search functionality, that would be fantastic. For example, search for 'ioun' between 0gp and 2,300gp.
brock is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Genthar

Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:08 AM
#2 definitely for PFS play.

Perhaps along with #2, an ability to note how an item was received. e.g. drop/loot or purchased, would be nice. Not sure it's essential though.
Genthar is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Arazyr

Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:12 AM
An "undo" feature for a transaction would be helpful, in case an item is bought or sold accidentally or by mistake.

Other than that, I second the transaction log, and search by price suggestions.
Arazyr is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Hberthou

Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazyr View Post
An "undo" feature for a transaction would be helpful, in case an item is bought or sold accidentally or by mistake.

Other than that, I second the transaction log, and search by price suggestions.
That would be kind of "need to have" with the transaction log.

I would like item with quantities to have an option to be removed when they have been used instead of having to sell it for 0.
Hberthou is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:55 AM
I have had players divide their money in specific ways and locations .. such as hiding an emergency stash of money sewn into the linings of a cloak, or stored in a bank (the Church of Abadar offers banking services in Pathfinder's world of Golarion).

Additionally, the current abstract money makes it hard to transfer funds between PCs the way items can be.

For these reasons, I (and others) added specific coin types as gear items (since incorporated into the Community Pack). I use these for all of my money handling at this time, converting to the abstract when I need to purchase goods for the character(s) in question, and back to coin gear items when done.

The separate coin gear items also lends itself well to having a pet or pack animal carry cash loot before it is divided.
Silveras is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old February 23rd, 2017, 09:15 AM
I'd like Silverdisks to be added as a currency.

I'd like the ability to buy specified quantities of custom Ammunition instead of having to always buy 50 and then sell back what you don't want.

I second the option to remove consumables (items or charges) when used instead of just ticking off a counter (the option could then show how many are left, like Hit Points and Hero Points do) and the search by price.

It would be amazing to be able to export items to a file that could be imported into a character in another portfolio, but I don't think that's a practical request.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 23rd, 2017, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Hi everyone,

This month, we've been laying the groundwork for some changes to how money works in Pathfinder. In the next Pathfinder release, you'll see a few of those changes:
  1. Starting cash is more robustly implemented and can now be changed on the Classes tab, after you pick a class for the character. Level 1 PCs can have Hero Lab roll their starting cash (using the correct value for their class), while NPCs and higher-level PCs have their starting cash automatically set to the appropriate values. (You can still set your own custom starting cash values if you want, and we're not changing any starting cash values on existing heroes.)
  2. The Journal tab will now show a transaction log of the purchases and sales you've made, including the items that were bought and sold, and their cost.
  3. You can now customize the names, values and weights of the coins used for purchasing, and define up to 4 additional coin types (if you wanted to rename "gold pieces" to "steel pieces", for example, or to define additional coin types entirely).

Before making further changes, we wanted to ask you, our users, what features and functions are missing from Hero Lab's buying / selling mechanics. When you're purchasing or selling gear, what do you want to do that Hero Lab doesn't support? What other features would be useful in your games?

Thanks for your help!
Colen, will this functionality become available for the d20 system as well? I've been wanting something like this for a while, and I've had to put a workaround in place currently, but it's a PITA. I would love this ability.

Does this mean you can apply this new coinage to the pricing of gear as well?
Kendall-DM is offline   #10 Reply With Quote