Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

burtosd

Old April 1st, 2014, 07:55 AM
It would be very useful to have the ability to 'cast' the player view window to a ChromeCast device so that it can be shown on a big screen TV or similar?

It is not always practical to have two monitors available, and it would save having to flip my laptop around every time I wanted to show something to the players. The player view feature is really useful, but works best when you have a separate display for the players to look at.
burtosd is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old April 1st, 2014, 09:13 AM
A device that is Miracast capable (ChromeCast isn't, unfortunately) is what you are looking for. It acts, basically, as a wireless HDMI cable - allowing you to add a TV as a 2nd monitor (or 3rd, etc), and display whatever you want on that.

ChromeCast, by comparison, can only display content that is already available on the interwebs (youtube, netflix, etc) or things that are displayed in the host's Chrome browser window.

As an observation, I don't think there would be anything special that Lone Wolf would have to do to make the hopefully-soon-to-be-released Web Client work with ChromeCast.

However, for what you're asking, they would have to convert the Player View into a web page. How much work would this be? I don't have any idea. Is the Player View already HTML-based, but displayed in the software's window?

I'm not sure how it's put together - but I believe Player View is designed to be a completely independent component within the current GM Client. If that's true, then it might be possible. Probable? Cost effective? Unknown.
lifer4700 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 1st, 2014, 12:52 PM
Other workarounds:

Did they take away the "Show Desktop (experimental)" option from the Google Cast extension for Chrome? I don't have a ChromeCast, but according to my searches that option existed at one time.

Wires still work. You can get long ones inexpensively on Newegg and similar sites.

I have computers hooked to our two bigger TVs for showing content, and they're remote-controllable for administration. Not an option for everyone (I build our home computers, so it's a hobby for me) but it's there.

Any option that (effectively) doesn't use the TV as an additional monitor has the problem of accidentally revealing information, but it's a start.

Last edited by Parody; April 1st, 2014 at 12:57 PM.
Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Other workarounds:
Wires still work. You can get long ones inexpensively on Newegg and similar sites.

I've found Monoprice to have great prices on cables. And please, for @#$ sake, never buy cables at Best Buy!!
lifer4700 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote