Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

senjak

Old May 28th, 2014, 07:26 AM
I'm working on implementing house rules. (Savage Battlestar Galactica if anyone is interested, player's writeup is about 25 pages so far)

I'm racking my brain for an example Edge that grants a choice of skills from a limited list. Ideally two skills from a list of about 10.

Can anyone point me to a existing Edge that does something like that, point me to an existing example or send me one of their examples on how to do that sort of coding please?

Thanks!

Senjak
senjak is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old May 28th, 2014, 08:29 AM
The closest that I can think of is the Scholar edge. Where it looks for only Knowledge skills will have to be modified.

I would like to see your BSG writeup when you are done. I am finally watching the series. I watched the first season when it was on TV, but I had not gotten around to watching the rest (life got in the way and I forgot about it). I just got the complete series.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 28th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Usually the lists are used for doing things like selecting something to modify. So an example from the Common Code thread (stickied near the top of this form) is:

To create a drop-down "pick list", let's say to apply a +1 roll bonus to one of three skills (the Scholar Edge is another example worth looking at):

Menu #1 Source: All Picks on Hero (this will make sure you don't get an error for trying to modify a skill that doesn't exist on the character)
Menu #1 Tag Expression: thingid.skBoating | thingid.skDriving | thingid.skPiloting
Eval Scripts: Pre-Traits/5000 - Before: Calc trtFinal

Code:
Code:
~apply the +1 modifier to selected skill
if (field[usrChosen1].ischosen <> 0) then
   perform field[usrChosen1].chosen.field[trtRoll].modify[+,1,"Ordo Novus Templum"]
endif
There are more than a few examples of that kind of thing in several of the data files out there. However that's basically selecting one thing to do something with, not 2 or more. Trying to think of some way to do that right now is making my brain hurt. :/

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
senjak

Old May 28th, 2014, 09:58 AM
I'll start with that.

I'm slowly making my way through the examples and implementing stuff.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Senjak
senjak is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
senjak

Old May 28th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I tend to break down everything to very small parts, that way the victories can be felt as code starts to work.

My goal is that I can pick two skills from a list and then if the skill doesn't exist, it is set to D4, otherwise it is raised by one. Oh, and the house rules limits skills to D6, unless it is one that was picked here, in which case it can go up to D8.

I've got the picking of skills done on the Edge page:

Menu #1 Source: All Things
Menu #1 Tag Expression: thingid.skFighting | thingid.skGambling | thingid.skInvest | thingid.skKnow

(Shortened for readability.)

That gives me two drop down menus with the set of skills.

Thanks again for the assistance. I'm sure that I'll have more questions later!

Senjak
senjak is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 28th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Remember that you can't create something with a script that has to run its own scripts. So, you can't use drop-down menus to add skills that don't exist, because those skills have their own scripts to run.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 28th, 2014, 11:48 AM
It seems to me to be a really, really complicated way of setting things up, too, which, IMHO, kind of detracts from the whole Fast, Fun, Furious nature of using the Savage Worlds rules.

Even so I think I have some examples of either bumping a skill or adding it if it doesn't exist in the Code Examples thread. The other possibility might be to think of it in other terms. So rather than selecting from a list can you prevent a selection if this Edge doesn't exist or something? Or you could presumably make multiple versions of the edge depending on which two edges you would be picking with it. Not necessarily pretty as it quickly crowds the Edges list but it might be the only other way to really go.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old May 28th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
It seems to me to be a really, really complicated way of setting things up, too, which, IMHO, kind of detracts from the whole Fast, Fun, Furious nature of using the Savage Worlds rules.

Even so I think I have some examples of either bumping a skill or adding it if it doesn't exist in the Code Examples thread. The other possibility might be to think of it in other terms. So rather than selecting from a list can you prevent a selection if this Edge doesn't exist or something? Or you could presumably make multiple versions of the edge depending on which two edges you would be picking with it. Not necessarily pretty as it quickly crowds the Edges list but it might be the only other way to really go.
This is a method that I have used.

And for a semi-related note, I have made it so that Edges that get improved do not print out the original entry on the character sheet. For example if a character is Very Attractive it will not also have Attractive shown in the list of Edges. This helps to remove some of the clutter.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 28th, 2014, 04:28 PM
I meant clutter on the selection list, but I actually like having the originals on the sheet. Then again I use sheets (when I use them at all, since I tend to play with HL on my laptop at the table) with the full descriptions printed and sometimes the first Edge has needed information that the Improved version only adds something to. Most of my players are pretty bad about remembering their abilities... then again we have 4 different games going (only 2 use Savage Worlds rules) so any one character only gets played ever other week so it's a bit easy to forget the specifics with that much jumping around.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old May 28th, 2014, 04:30 PM
That is one thing that I really like about the Pathfinder options. You can print out the descriptions as well. If Savage Worlds were to do that, I would append the Improved versions to show what is missing.

SeeleyOne is offline   #10 Reply With Quote