Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

iamtim

Old March 28th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Hi there.

I've been wracking my brain over this for the last two days. I've also searched the internet and these forums and can't find an answer.

We're starting a new SW game and our GM wants us to start with 20 skill points instead of 15. How can I do this in HL?

Thanks,
Tim.
iamtim is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Personal tab...Permanent Adjustments table. Add the "Skill Points" adjustment and set it to +5.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
iamtim

Old March 29th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Well. Don't I feel like an idiot. That was too easy.

Thanks!
iamtim is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old March 29th, 2014, 02:48 PM
If you want to make a user file so that people just click on it in the Configure Hero menu that is also easy to do.

Open the editor
Create a user file (or go to one that your group already uses).
Go to the Setting Adjust tab
create a setting
Give it a source (as per Sources in the bottom right). This will enable you to turn it on and off.
In the Eval Scripts for that setting put in the following:
Phase: Pre-Traits
Priority: 5000
Timing: Before Scripts: Calc trtFinal
Code:
#resmax[resSkill] += 5]
I do similar in my own house rules, where I bootstrap some skills to the setting adjustment that I want everyone to have at least d4 in for free, and then I have a - for the + and put a different value for the 5.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
iamtim

Old March 30th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I will keep that for future reference, but I'm just a player in this game so the Permanent Adjustment works perfectly.
iamtim is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
senjak

Old May 27th, 2014, 10:39 AM
SeeleyOne, how about sort of the opposite?

Is there a way to limit a skill level to the current character rank? ie, novice characters would only be able to put 1D4 into it, seasoned could put up to 1d6, veteran can have 1d8 and so on?

Thanks!
senjak is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old May 27th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by senjak View Post
SeeleyOne, how about sort of the opposite?

Is there a way to limit a skill level to the current character rank? ie, novice characters would only be able to put 1D4 into it, seasoned could put up to 1d6, veteran can have 1d8 and so on?

Thanks!
Yes, there is a way. In fact, I use it in my own house rules. I will copy-paste my own, which has d8 max as Novice, d10 max as Seasoned, and d12 max as Veteran or above. I decided on that as it lines up the best with the Edges.

What I had to do was make a copy of each of the skills. And then I had to do a "Replace Thing ID" for each of them. For example, my skboating has a Replace Thing ID for skBoating. It will require you to always use that in any game that you play. If you do not want to use it, just remove the file from the folder. Do NOT give it a source as this will cause it to clash with the Encounter Builder and some of the supplements (Fantasy Companion's Familiar comes to mind).

Then in each of the new versions of the skills you need to have an eval script, which can be copy-pasted as below as it only affects the specific skill.

Pre-Traits
Code:
    var xp as number
    var skillMax as number
    xp = hero.child[resXP].field[resMax].value
    skillMax = 4

if (xp >= 20) then
      skillMax +=1
    endif

if (xp >= 40) then
      skillMax +=1
    endif

this.field[trtMaximum].value = skillMax
Enjoy! What I did was I copy-pasted the code to a text file and then copy-pasted it to each of new copied/replace skills. That is a bit quicker than copying it from another skill.

My code has 25 and 50 for the XP values because I have added an advance per rank. I did not look but I think that the normal values are 20 and 40.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.

Last edited by SeeleyOne; May 27th, 2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: I remembered that my xp values were off because I made them +5 xp (one advance) each.
SeeleyOne is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 28th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Of note, when doing a "Replace Thing ID" you're essentially saying you want that thing to be the standard across ALL of your Savage Worlds Hero Lab settings. It won't apply for any skill in a setting that, for whatever reason, replaced the existing skill (commonly true for arcane/power skills). If you only want it to apply to a specific setting(s) then you'd have to go into the data file for that setting and then preclude the standard skill and put in your own skill using the above code. Doing a "Replace Thing ID" can have a lot of "gotchas' and repercussions so I strongly recommend you have some idea of what you're doing if you decide to go that route.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
senjak

Old May 28th, 2014, 06:50 AM
You guys rock. I'm really appreciating all of the tips and suggestions.
senjak is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
senjak

Old May 28th, 2014, 07:03 AM
It was interesting to see that it was possible to spend an advance on psionics but the advance didn't take place.

But that did get the job done!
senjak is offline   #10 Reply With Quote