Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

alucardu

Old December 16th, 2016, 02:25 AM
For our campaign we're alowing players to select up to 2 flaws, the first flaw gives the player 4 skill points and the second flaw gives another feat to choose.

Is is possible to "program" these exceptions into the character?
alucardu is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 16th, 2016, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucardu View Post
For our campaign we're alowing players to select up to 2 flaws, the first flaw gives the player 4 skill points and the second flaw gives another feat to choose.

Is is possible to "program" these exceptions into the character?
Yes. In fact, there are already adjustments for this: "Feats, Total" and "Skill Points, Total". You can either use these adjustments or borrow the code from them and put them into your flaws (with some tweaks).
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
alucardu

Old December 16th, 2016, 04:07 AM
Alright, that should be doable. Quick question though, I see there's a file called traits & flaws "ua_flaws.dat" in this folder > C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\d20\source

I want to place my additional flaws inside this file but when I open it with the editor I get the following error:

Warning! This file is not present in the folder for the active game system. You may view the contents of the file, but not modify it.

I do use the d20 system though.

Is is because I shouldn't try to edit the source files directly? If so, how do I know what data pack to open to change the flaws and traits?

Last edited by alucardu; December 16th, 2016 at 04:12 AM.
alucardu is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 16th, 2016, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Alright, that should be doable. Quick question though, I see there's a file called traits & flaws "ua_flaws.dat" in this folder > C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\d20\source

I want to place my additional flaws inside this file but when I open it with the editor I get the following error:

Warning! This file is not present in the folder for the active game system. You may view the contents of the file, but not modify it.

I do use the d20 system though.

Is is because I shouldn't try to edit the source files directly? If so, how do I know what data pack to open to change the flaws and traits?
The files in the source directory are leftovers from a bygone era, and not used by HL. Ignore them. Instead, you should create your own user file and place it in the d20 folder one level up from source.

If you need to change a core flaw or trait, you can use new (copy) in a new user file, give it a new unique id and use the "replaces thing" window to replace the original.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
alucardu

Old December 16th, 2016, 04:24 AM
Is there an exisiting list of flaws and traits? Because if I select flaws & traits from the character creation screen (the books) I can choose some. Those traits and flaws are from multiple sources then?

I just created a data file called "Custom - Book of Distinctions & Drawbacks.user" and put it in source, then include it into the character screen and enabled flaws and now I get the flaws I insert there. Would this be a correct way to add aditional "stuff"?

Last edited by alucardu; December 16th, 2016 at 04:37 AM.
alucardu is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 16th, 2016, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Is there an exisiting list of flaws and traits? Because if I select flaws & traits from the character creation screen (the books) I can choose some. Those traits and flaws are from multiple sources then?
I believe all of the flaws are from Unearthed Arcana. They are all in the core data set except for Murky-Eyed which was added to the community set.

As for traits, many of them are also from UA (which makes them core), but other are from other sources. It will tell you in the description where it is from.

For the record, it is not generally advisable to change anything in the core or community sets. Any changes you make will be overwritten with future updates.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 16th, 2016, 04:39 AM
Quote:
I just created a data file called "Custom - Book of Distinctions & Drawbacks.user" and put it in source, then include it into the character screen and enabled flaws and now I get the flaws I insert there. Would this be a correct way to add aditional "stuff"?
Yes, though it isn't necessary to use the "Custom" prefix. You might even want to avoid that. I would recommend something like:

'Alucardu - Book of Distinctions & Drawbacks'

This way you know the community data set will never have a file by that name and accidentally overwrite yours.
Sendric is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
alucardu

Old December 16th, 2016, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
Yes. In fact, there are already adjustments for this: "Feats, Total" and "Skill Points, Total". You can either use these adjustments or borrow the code from them and put them into your flaws (with some tweaks).
Where would I be able to find these adjustments?
alucardu is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 16th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Where would I be able to find these adjustments?
They are in core. If you want to look at the code they are using, you'll need to do a New (Copy) in the Adjustment tab of the editor.
Sendric is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
alucardu

Old December 17th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Is there a resource I can see for how to code something? I find it very hard (coming from a Java background...)

I just want to add 4 skill points to the total skill point pool when a certain flaw has been selected.

Through the Skill Point total I found this:

~ If we're not enabled, get out now
doneif (field[pIsOn].value = 0)

~ Get the class index of the class we selected
var index as number
index = field[pChosen].chosen.field[cClsIndex].value

~ Add skill points appropriately
herofield[tSkTotals].arrayvalue[index] += field[pAdjust].value

But I can't figure out how to change this code to just adding 4 skill points to the current skill point pool.

// edit. Found an older post > http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...t=skill+points which showed the code. I would still like to see if there's an source with code examples though.

// edit2. It seems that choosing a flaw automatically adds a feat, is there a way to turn this of?

Last edited by alucardu; December 18th, 2016 at 01:10 AM.
alucardu is offline   #10 Reply With Quote