Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MaxSupernova

Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Note: We've also been making some steady headway on general refinement and enhancements to overall product usability. Yes, we have a long ways to go, but progress HAS been made on that front.
And I entirely agree, things have improved significantly.

I just wanted to make sure that the baby wasn't thrown out with the bathwater in the flood of "He's a moron, we love Realm Works!" posts.

I'm trying to find legitimate criticism in there rather than piling on in the blind hatred or blind adoration camps...

Sometimes I wonder if you should just pull a Bethesda and hole up and say nothing until one day you quietly release Fallout 4. Probably far less stressful for the entire team... :-D

Keep at it, folks. It's getting better all the time.
MaxSupernova is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old June 4th, 2015, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
And I entirely agree, things have improved significantly.

I just wanted to make sure that the baby wasn't thrown out with the bathwater in the flood of "He's a moron, we love Realm Works!" posts.

I'm trying to find legitimate criticism in there rather than piling on in the blind hatred or blind adoration camps...
Agreed. I would have loved a "Dupe Realm" option to have already been in place. Like an export so that we could share our work easier up to this point. I know, Marketplace, but AT LEAST having been able to make a core SR/PF realm, set to your liking, and then dupe it so you can use it as a template later would have been nice. Waiting for the Marketplace is UTTER PAIN AND TORTURE in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
Sometimes I wonder if you should just pull a Bethesda and hole up and say nothing until one day you quietly release Fallout 4. Probably far less stressful for the entire team... :-D
How about no?

Seriously, I come to this forum every day hoping for some new hint of information. I go crazy waiting on the Marketplace announcement beyond, "We're working on it".

Every piece of information Rob mentions about how it works, I INSTANTLY integrate into my realms. (The bit about customization might cause errors, and some best practices for sharing is already in all my realms).

Please, don't take that away from me!!!

Seriously though, it might be better for the devs stress wise, but you're going to give me a coronary.
Pollution is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old June 4th, 2015, 07:27 PM
I'm with Pollution on this. It's funny, there is no other software program that I so obsessively check on the status of. It is strange when I think about it. Why not just use the program and wait for the e-mail newsletter or the auto-update. I guess that this is because RW is so entwined with a cherished hobby and personal creative expression. Also, there are some features that are in the works that will greatly improve my experience with creating and running my campaign.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Erdrix

Old June 5th, 2015, 07:54 AM
I use to obsessively look for programs that I could use for my GM notes, but since I purchased Realm Works I now obsessively look for software to display maps.
Erdrix is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old June 6th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
I'm with Pollution on this. It's funny, there is no other software program that I so obsessively check on the status of. It is strange when I think about it. Why not just use the program and wait for the e-mail newsletter or the auto-update. I guess that this is because RW is so entwined with a cherished hobby and personal creative expression. Also, there are some features that are in the works that will greatly improve my experience with creating and running my campaign.
You are so right. I can't think of anything else that I check up on at least twice a week (or more if I am in an editing mode). I have this compulsion to both see if there is an update and to see what the rest of you are working on, what you thing, and how you are using it. It has definitely become a "me time" moment that I really don't have time for right now but can't stop doing. I try to think of it as a form of meditation for gamemasters that is good for my health.
Gord is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old June 8th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
You are so right. I can't think of anything else that I check up on at least twice a week (or more if I am in an editing mode). I have this compulsion to both see if there is an update and to see what the rest of you are working on, what you thing, and how you are using it. It has definitely become a "me time" moment that I really don't have time for right now but can't stop doing. I try to think of it as a form of meditation for gamemasters that is good for my health.
HA!

Twice a week.... If only my obsession allowed me to leave it be for more than a day.

I check these silly forums about every 4 hours while at work, and at least once at home.

I need help.
Pollution is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 8th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Text...
@DLG: This is a few days late, but important nonetheless. Please refrain from personal attacks, and focus on keeping your posts respectful and constructive. Please consider this a warning, and please re-read your posts before posting in the future.

For everyone reading this thread, we recently updated our forum rules, and I recommend that everyone read through the changes. One feature is the report function (the red yield sign on the left) located on every post. If a fellow Community member is not following the rules above, please report the post by clicking the Report button. This will notify the moderators directly.
liz is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old June 9th, 2015, 10:44 AM
M'Lady, your every wish instantly granted. Should my "weapon" offend thee I humbly surrender it whenever you so direct.

My post above was intended to support Rob's observations and position. In my travels all over this "tiny blue marble" of ours I often wonder at the diversity of its people and perspectives, but even within our own great nation I sometimes forget that the diversity pays no mind to border but is often lost in translation.

Being from Texas, I have been often reminded elsewhere that while we are one of 50 states and the rest of the world perceives us as "Americans", our language and mindset can sometimes be vastly different.

The Canadians & Australians I worked with often reminded me of those differences. They would often chuckle to my "vocal-draw", choice of hat, and my propensity for the use of "ya'll, gonna, and ma'am" My vernaculars, while may have made perfect sense to me, may not have been so clear to others.

Pigs rolling in the mud in Texas means they enjoy it. My intent to imply it seemed Adzling simply enjoyed arguing and not to indulge him not that he was a pig.
"All hat ...." is a Texas rebuttal to talk with no show. To further clarify, We get your frustrations (talk), now provide solutions, fixes, and work around (show).

These "home grown vernaculars" were not intended as an attempt at name calling, just simply a phrase describing something perceived through a limited means of communication. Sadly voice inflection, eye contact, and body language all help us to better communicate with each other, but are tools unavailable in this type of format. To all if this lost in "translation" my apologies.

As to Adzling's intent, I have also posted that I concur with some of his observations, just not his delivery. As to his private request, I have also modified my own posting, to quell any embers.
Let us all move forward.

DLG

PS> Calendars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Surrender your quill sir.jpg (21.0 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; June 10th, 2015 at 04:54 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old June 10th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Nicely said, DLG, and I think we all need to remember that while we are a vibrant community, we do need to bear in mind (grarw, as a friend of mine would say) that we come from a vast array of cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and that the things we write and read might be taken out of context, since we're lacking the audiovisual cues which are so important to actual face-to-face communication.

For example, to me, it is impossible to read "'appy as a pig in t'muck" as anything other than a metaphor for enjoyment of something, "to the dog's" as a profoundly negative event, and "the dog's bollocks" as the epitome of excellence. But unless you're British, you might struggle to get that, out of context.

I hold no rancor, one way or the other, towards Adzling for what he said, but I dislike the way he said it. And I will defend his right to speak his piece, even while begging for moderation in the manner in which he speaks it.

That's my last thought on the matter.

PS: Calendars.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old June 11th, 2015, 09:04 PM
When in doubt, think of yourself as a Canadian game store owner and choose your words that way. You can disagree completely with what a person says, make suggestions, be polite/nice about it, and yet still have the person come back, recommend your store to their friends, ask your opinion, and give you lots of money,

(Sorry Tex, I couldn't resist. Please don't shoot me)
Gord is offline   #40 Reply With Quote