Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

AEIOU

Old March 25th, 2015, 03:08 PM
I'd open my realm up to folks to see but you'd have to view as a player. However, nothing is revealed to players yet.... I'm trying not to clutter the change log.

My hope is that the Market Place will allow me to send a clean copy to myself so I can use this as my master copy for multiple campaigns/parties each with their own version and different reveals based on where in the world the players are.

I'm also waiting for individual reveals but I'm not sure if I'll be patient enough for that.....
AEIOU is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
stuartwaring

Old March 25th, 2015, 11:57 PM
I didn't even know there's a change log... I'm pedantic enough to understand your desire to keep it clear though!
stuartwaring is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 26th, 2015, 07:50 AM
I posted these over on G+ eons ago but I'm sure some haven't seen them. Bear in mind that these are old screen shots and I've changed my mind on how to organize things more times than I can remember and I've deleted almost all of the mechanics topics I entered early on as I would prefer to purchase a full ruleset for Pathfinder rather than me adding it piecemeal. I don't consider my campaign large (it's at 1300 topics whereas I know some folks are over 15000) or complex. But it gives some ideas of where things could go with a little effort.

The Crucible of Freya is one of the modules I've entered. I built the flowchart by going through the adventure and every time there was a decision, event, bold heading, whatever, I added it and linked it logically.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B38...ew?usp=sharing

That worked out well so I was curious how RW would handle a medium-sized dungeon. Stoneheart Mountain Dungeon is a 9-level crawl. I have entered all the material for the first 4 levels and then...fatigue set in. I haven't returned to it. I have one level with names only and the last 4 have no entries whatsoever yet. This is partially due to my creating a flowchart of every room and just burning out. The flowchart most certainly helped me visualize the dungeon. Here are the three different ways to view flowcharts -- vertical, horizontal and crazy.

Maps work nicely. If the map is keyed, I place the pins over the location numbers and turn them off -- I can hover for a description this way while keeping a pretty map. Have I mentioned linkages? That's the true magic sauce in RW. And unlike wiki's, the linkages are automatic. The right and left columns are what you should be looking at.... While these are maps, that center frame is always your current topic while the left and right provide context at a glance.

For module text, I find that I'm moving things around, restructuring things, creating logical groups. But I'm not really adding any material at this point. Here's one room with the original text and my RW adjustments.

Enough babbling. One of these days I'll make some new screen shots. My use of containers has changed dramatically. I've started using tags to tie things together better. And I've started breaking up large tables as RW hates large topics.
AEIOU is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 26th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Forgot to mention. If an image is "too small", blurry or difficult to make out, that's on purpose to protect players from themselves. There are definitely spoilers there so this is my compromise so they can still enjoy the adventures should they play in them some day.

On my end, trust me, these are all in full techno-color with surround taste and extra snorfles. I'm not shy about maxing out image sizes.

Last edited by AEIOU; March 26th, 2015 at 07:56 AM.
AEIOU is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old March 27th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartwaring View Post
I like Derfel would really like to see what some of the more accomplished users are doing, and how it compares to how i put stuff into RW, and i doubt we are the only two...
You can add me to that list. I feel like I've fumbled my way through entering my adventure. I understand that the program is open to however you want to interpret/use it, but I always prefer a look at examples to give me some ideas. I went to all of the discussions available at Gen Con 2014 and learned about containers. What a brilliant concept! And it was there the whole time. RW is kind of like Photoshop, very few, if any, know everything the program is capable of doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I posted these over on G+ eons ago but I'm sure some haven't seen them.
I have not seen them, thanks for resharing. Even though they are out of date to you it doesn't matter to the rest of us. It gives us an idea of how we can organize our world.

What I think would be helpful to us users is to have one or more seminars at Gen Con that we can share how we use RW. If not a seminar that we sign up for then maybe one or more prearranged-impromptu meetings. Those who use laptops and bring them to Gen Con could show how they use RW. Just a thought.
ruhar is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old March 27th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I am always up to share, and see others work, no better way to learn than to discuss why each of used did what we did.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Derfel

Old March 27th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Oops, did I just trigger an old forum war? Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Send me a PM if you are interested.
I will send you my G+ profile, so may be we can arrange something. (My timezone is UTC +2)

Quote:
I posted these over on G+ eons ago but I'm sure some haven't seen them.
Thanks AEIOU, these are awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I am always up to share, and see others work, no better way to learn than to discuss why each of used did what we did.
Thanks for the invite it is much appreciated.

Last edited by Derfel; March 27th, 2015 at 01:32 PM.
Derfel is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old March 27th, 2015, 01:48 PM
well invite sent, but Christ on a cracker the latest update messed up everything I have worked to do. I had a clean organized separated world and story almanacs with links and all kinds of great stuff. now it is one big stupid mess.

I will still show it, but I have no idea where to begin to fix it now. Should rename it BigFnMess Almanac.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
Real Life - IT Security
Exmortis is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old March 27th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Quote:
I'd open my realm up to folks to see but you'd have to view as a player. However, nothing is revealed to players yet.... I'm trying not to clutter the change log.

My hope is that the Market Place will allow me to send a clean copy to myself so I can use this as my master copy for multiple campaigns/parties each with their own version and different reveals based on where in the world the players are.

I'm also waiting for individual reveals but I'm not sure if I'll be patient enough for that.....
Actually that change log needs a clear feature, that's what I forgot to ask for. Feature request incoming.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
Real Life - IT Security
Exmortis is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old March 27th, 2015, 02:12 PM
So fro the first time I decided to test the player view window on my desktop and realized that it has no sizing feature, its full screen or nothing. Not a huge deal unless you run a eyefinity desktop of 5760x1080, then its a huge PITA lol. However this will of course not be a bug deal when gaming, as I will use a lappy and an external player facing monitor for player view. Just a funny thing when you lose your entire screen to a white back ground, was not sure what happened for a sec. hehehe.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
Real Life - IT Security
Exmortis is offline   #20 Reply With Quote