Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kbs666

Old February 7th, 2017, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydevil43 View Post
That's my feeling... I have Played it and am going to GM it for a group later in the year (once we finish the Giantslayer).

I am not sure what the differences are between the older versions and the Anniversary, but now that I seem to have a truckload of time on my hands, I can start entering the old ones manually.

It's very very disappointing, and I am hoping BJ and the team are going... Oh S***T at the backlash.
The original is 3.5 rules while the anniversary edition is updated to full PF. It's minor stuff like they replaced Spot checks with Perception checks but all the monsters are fully PF.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 7th, 2017, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
If you read between the lines in the announcement... they have already gone 'oh shit'...

I would wager they knew the reaction they would get and have been dreading putting out the update for that very reason.

Pathfinder was meant to be the good news story with the 5e crowd hiding in the corner grumbling.
Yeah, they had to know this wasn't going to be popular. Seems really bogus as well. I'd guess most people would pay a premium for things like Bestiaries in RW format where there really is no need to read through the book. However Paizo has always claimed to make there money off selling modules and I would assume most people even if they had a module or AP in RW would still want a physical or PDF of it to read the narrative at least once.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 7th, 2017, 05:39 AM
I personally like how they're doing the Pathfinder licensing. For those without the PDFs, you get something out of the content licensing cost. For those who own the PDFs already you're not paying as much for the content in a new form. It's better than what you get for WotC's 5e digital content elsewhere, as far as I can tell. Maybe not great for folks who only have the physical book or who have legitimate PDFs from outside Paizo's system, but it's better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydevil43 View Post
I am not sure what the differences are between the older versions and the Anniversary, but now that I seem to have a truckload of time on my hands, I can start entering the old ones manually.
In addition to the mechanics changes mentioned earlier, they rewrote some parts of it. (The final battle, for example.)

Last edited by Parody; February 7th, 2017 at 05:47 AM. Reason: I cut across threads. :(
Parody is online now   #13 Reply With Quote
NeoEvaX

Old February 7th, 2017, 06:56 AM
With this new rule, I wish Paizo offered a way to get the PDFs for free, or cheap for a limited time. Ie, with actually cutting out some sort of proof of purchase in the book and sending it in.

Normally I would never cut things out like that, but I would make an exception in this case.

I know there is a risk of people cutting those out in brick and morder stores and then sending them in, but I think that is a pretty low risk.
NeoEvaX is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 7th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
The original is 3.5 rules while the anniversary edition is updated to full PF. It's minor stuff like they replaced Spot checks with Perception checks but all the monsters are fully PF.
Actually, the Anniversary Edition has expanded content as well as conversions. There are additional areas to explore in the Runeforge, for example, and some added encounters early in The Skinsaw Murders. Also, based on feedback on Paizo's forums, some encounters that were problematic in the original version (example: the "TPK machine" at the end of The Skinsaw Murders) were revised to make them more playable.
Silveras is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 7th, 2017, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoEvaX View Post
With this new rule, I wish Paizo offered a way to get the PDFs for free, or cheap for a limited time. Ie, with actually cutting out some sort of proof of purchase in the book and sending it in.

Normally I would never cut things out like that, but I would make an exception in this case.

I know there is a risk of people cutting those out in brick and morder stores and then sending them in, but I think that is a pretty low risk.
Paizo has always been very good about discussing their decisions if asked in a non-combative manner. Raising questions like these, or voicing dissatisfaction, is better done on their forums, where the key personnel often answer directly, than here -- where the people involved won't even see it.
Silveras is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old February 7th, 2017, 07:47 AM
If someone has already started a thread over on the PF boards, a link here might be nice
meek75 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
NeoEvaX

Old February 7th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Paizo has always been very good about discussing their decisions if asked in a non-combative manner. Raising questions like these, or voicing dissatisfaction, is better done on their forums, where the key personnel often answer directly, than here -- where the people involved won't even see it.
You are probably right. I should dig around in their forums and see if something like that exists now. I have always had good communication with paizo.

edit: link to discussion: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2u60u?New-Paizo-policy

Last edited by NeoEvaX; February 7th, 2017 at 08:01 AM.
NeoEvaX is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 7th, 2017, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoEvaX View Post
So... I read the new news from WL. I think it makes a lot of sense for Paizo to do this, but it is a bit frustrating..

I have been signed up for their subscriptions for a short while. I have really enjoyed getting their physical documents as well as PDFs. But I have not been doing that for too long.

I bought both of their Adventure Path's that have been Anniversary Editions. Both Rise of the Runelords and their newer ones. But I bought them both at a local Game Shop. Which is usually a really nice thing to do. They tend to cost more but are bought local, which is really nice. But it does not come with any PDFs..

So for me to get the, hopefully soon to be released, content market for Realm Works, I will need to buy the PDF for Rise of the Runelords? If I had bought it straight from Paizo I would already have the PDF, but since I bought it at a local shop I don't get it?

Is there any process to get those PDFs if we already own the physical books? Even if they where recently bought? Or am I just out of luck and need to buy the $41.99 pdf along with whatever it costs on the content market.

We are happy to work with Paizo to make their content available for use, but as a licensee, it's up to us to work within the parameters of the model the publisher has chosen so there is little we can do to adjust prices on the PDFs for prior physical purchases.

This is something you would need to take up with Paizo who doesn't currently allow for any such process for understandable reasons. They do run sales on their PDFs fairly often and you can certainly keep an eye out for those or sign up for their subscription service for upcoming releases!
BJ is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
NeoEvaX

Old February 7th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
We are happy to work with Paizo to make their content available for use, but as a licensee, it's up to us to work within the parameters of the model the publisher has chosen so there is little we can do to adjust prices on the PDFs for prior physical purchases.

This is something you would need to take up with Paizo who doesn't currently allow for any such process for understandable reasons. They do run sales on their PDFs fairly often and you can certainly keep an eye out for those or sign up for their subscription service for upcoming releases!
Yeah, I understand you have to deal with the whole process of licensing. Its something we all have to deal with. Can't really fight it too much.

I appreciate you guys (and gals) communicating with us about the process. Just going to have to keep my eyes open for PDFs I need when things are available via the market. Keep my wallet open too!
NeoEvaX is offline   #20 Reply With Quote