Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 8th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
Makes sense. As an aside, can we control the local drive the database is installed on?
At the moment, no. That's something we'll need to provide some flexibility on. The gotcha with doing that is we potentially run into nasty issues with people using Dropbox for syncing and blowing things up in the process. I'm not sure how we'll handle that at this point.
rob is offline   #101 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 8th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
At the moment, no. That's something we'll need to provide some flexibility on. The gotcha with doing that is we potentially run into nasty issues with people using Dropbox for syncing and blowing things up in the process. I'm not sure how we'll handle that at this point.

makes sense, but i was thinking less about the dropbox and more about storing on a drive thats more reliable than the c: drive (SSD vs HD)

I mean you cant stop people from using drop box no matter what drive/directory you install on. I could EASILY change my dropbox folder to point to wherever you install.

So isnt that more of a warning/disclaimer issue?
mirtos is offline   #102 Reply With Quote
Somahan

Old March 8th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Agree with the above analysis. You cannot stop people from attempting to the wrong thing at their own risk, you can simply state that the database must be installed on the local PC for the product to work.

Transaction based files just wont work neatly with cloud drives unless they are a local copy that replays transaction logs to the cloud drive at points in time.

If people are trying to do their own cloud service I doubt it will be as functional as the cloud service which you deliver! Your cloud service adds functionality to Realm Works that can only be enabled by updating through web APIs to a web service that you have built. Nothing stops anybody from remote desktop to their own home PC if they have it all set up over the Internet or buying a cloud desktop to run the software on with they could do with most applications today.
Somahan is offline   #103 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old March 9th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somahan View Post
If people are trying to do their own cloud service I doubt it will be as functional as the cloud service which you deliver! Your cloud service adds functionality to Realm Works that can only be enabled by updating through web APIs to a web service that you have built. Nothing stops anybody from remote desktop to their own home PC if they have it all set up over the Internet or buying a cloud desktop to run the software on with they could do with most applications today.
Yep, Mostly I want the ability to be able to work on it at home and at work. And if I can get it to sync through Dropbox... Awesome. If I have to do the backup/restore through Dropbox... I will.

And once we get the real cloud sync... choir of angels awesome. I just know that I tend to get all my "Damnit, I need to write this down" ideas at work and then do the heavy lifting at home.

Worst case, I take full responsibility for anything I break in my own data. I will encourage people to point and laugh when I lose who knows how much data since my last backup.

"Lookit im... e's funny. 'e lost an entire dungeon to stupid. Watch im cry!"
Thrantor is offline   #104 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 9th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
makes sense, but i was thinking less about the dropbox and more about storing on a drive thats more reliable than the c: drive (SSD vs HD)

I mean you cant stop people from using drop box no matter what drive/directory you install on. I could EASILY change my dropbox folder to point to wherever you install.

So isnt that more of a warning/disclaimer issue?
Yes and no. We should ideally detect local vs. non-local (NAS & USB/removable) drives and only allow installation to local drives. For things like Dropbox, all we can do is display prominent warnings. But we need to safeguard against this as much as possible.

Even if we do all that, someone out there will ignore the warnings and then blame us when their own willful ignorance bites them in the butt. And they'll make sure to tell everyone across the internet that it's our fault, conveniently omitting the critical details about how they were stupid and ignored the warnings. That's just the nature of people, I guess.
rob is offline   #105 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old March 9th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Even if we do all that, someone out there will ignore the warnings and then blame us when their own willful ignorance bites them in the butt. And they'll make sure to tell everyone across the internet that it's our fault, conveniently omitting the critical details about how they were stupid and ignored the warnings. That's just the nature of people, I guess.
Sadly, that is the nature of people. Those of us that know when we screw around we take our data in our own hands know better. If I screw something up, I'm not coming after you guys.

But I certainly know other people will if it's not screamed all over not to do it. And even then, they will still do it and bitch after.
Thrantor is offline   #106 Reply With Quote
WildMonkeyLaura

Old March 10th, 2013, 12:04 AM
My howl is a bit late but no less excited, I can't wait to take a peek under the hood.
WildMonkeyLaura is offline   #107 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old March 14th, 2013, 03:48 PM
In the words of Inigo Montoya: "I hate waiting"
BoomerET is offline   #108 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old March 14th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildMonkeyLaura View Post
My howl is a bit late but no less excited, I can't wait to take a peek under the hood.
Hello from a fellow Howler in the Mile High city.
gloranphile is offline   #109 Reply With Quote
Serpine

Old March 15th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerET View Post
In the words of Inigo Montoya: "I hate waiting"
Shouldn't be long now. I'm a rough approximation of giddy with anticipation...
Serpine is offline   #110 Reply With Quote