Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Blackhand

Old October 10th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Anybody working on Race build rules set?
Blackhand is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I thought about and had a few ideas how maybe it could be done. Then I started thinking about if it would be really necessary. I mean its more of something you use once to balance out the race and then just use the HL editor to input it.

On a serious question would it really be all that handy to have?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Sketchpad

Old October 10th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I think so ... having the system in place to build your own races outside the editor would be pretty nice

DT Butchino | Writer, Illustrator, Designer
DeviantArt|Facebook|Twitter
Sketchpad is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old October 11th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I'm gonna agree with Sketchpad. Sure SC, a lot of the use of the race building system will be GM's making new races for their campaigns, but I can see a player use that would make HL integration very useful. Say your GM is starting a new campaign tonight, or a one shot, or whatever. Everyone is making their characters with HL, maybe on the GM's computer (this is the way I start games quite often these days actually). One player wants to play a race that hasn't been created yet. He chooses "Custom" from the race box, and a window pops up for him to create his race using the race building rules. Bam, new race in 5 minutes, GM doesn't have to go through the slow process of using the editor. Or maybe someone has a race they've already created, but just brought it to the game that night. Instead of having to waste time putting it in the editor, the race building rules make it quick and easy.
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
hawkwing2k5

Old October 12th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I agree as a long time player and DM. Ive used all the popular character creators and all had in place a way to enter custom races with out using the editor. Some people either dont have the time or like me need to be walked through the steps to enter stuff until they get the process. Since I showed off the hero lab to my game group. There are now 6 more people using the software. Unlike me their editing ability is nada.
hawkwing2k5 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Enforcer84

Old October 12th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I know I'd like it
Enforcer84 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old October 17th, 2011, 11:09 AM
A quick update. I have a beta version working of a data set that lets one create a Custom Race without the editor following the rules of the play test.

I have all the types, subtypes, Languages (mostly working), ability scores, and bonus ability scores in and working. I was waiting on doing the Racial Specials as the play test's "generic" versions should/could be in the next official update of HL. So no reason for me to do double work.

It took some work to get things working correctly. Right now I am pretty happy with how it is turning out. I have sent off the current version to a pair of my players for testing and so far the response is pretty positive. One player said "If you know how to use HL then this is very easy to work with".

So I could have a basic working version to release as a Community Add-On "soon".

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 12th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I have a final working version of the data set finally. This addon once installed allows one to build a custom race outside the editor following the rules of the ARG Play test 1 rules.

Steps to use:
  1. Go to d20pfsrd and in the "Pathfinder Advanced Race Guide" folder download the ARG_RaceBuilder vX.X.hl file.
  2. Install the ARG_RaceBuilder vX.X.hl by NOT having HL running and double clicking on the file.
  3. In the Configure Your Hero window you must select "Advanced Race Guide: Playtest 1" source.
  4. Now on the "Background" tab click on Choose Race and select the new "- Custom Race -".
  5. You must pick the Power Level of the race (ie 10, 20, 30, 40). Select this on the "Racial Power Points Level" racial ability.
  6. Once selected a new section called Racial Traits will appear with 0 of XX spent.
  7. The first selection you may wish to pick is "Name" as this ability lets you name your new custom race.
  8. After that follow the Play Test rules picking things in the order that the play test describes them. So you should now pick: Race Type, Subtype if Needed, Size, Base Speed, Ability Scores, Language, Ability Score Bonuses, Defense, Magical, Movement, Offense, Skill and Feats, Senses, Weaknesses, and finally Other abilities.
  9. If you are not going to be spending all your Racial Points and want to remove the warning about not spending them all go to "In-Play" tab. Click on the "Not spending all points".
This addon includes the missing ARG racial specials not added by HL. So this add-on would also be helpful for those wishing to use the editor to create there custom race when done by bootstraping the newly created "Racial Specials" to the race. These "Racial Specials" match exactly to the Play Test rules. These "Racial Specials" are NOT source marked to the play test source allowing them to be used without that source being activated.

Known Issues:
There where a few things I have not finished yet 100% as I am not exactly sure how I will handle them.
  • The ability to select up to 7 languages.
  • Racial Weapon Groups.
  • Some of the more complex error checking is not done. This also includes no way to check that as an outsider has a elemental background.
  • Newly created Sub-types in the editor will not automatically show up. If your using the editor then you will have to create a new "R Cust Special" based on a sub-type Things I have already created.
  • I have no way of testing but this SHOULD work for those just have the CORE HL data set. I am 99% sure no other data package is needed to get this to work.
Note: Be sure not to change anything in the .user or .1st RaceBuilder files as your changes will get overwritten/lost if I release a newer version and you install it. Any adjustments you want to do can be accomplished in your own .user files which won't get over written when a new version comes out.

How to remove Data Set
If you run into any problem that prevents loading you can easily delete/remove .hl import add-ons. Simply Go to Tools->Manage Third Party Updates... and then select Race Builder and tell it to delete. HL will remove and reset everything back to before the add-on was installed.

Feel free to leave any comments or issues in this thread.

Release 1.2 - November 17, 2011
  • Added a 40 RP option.
  • Small change to the "Racial Points Power Level" Thing to allow for easy way to add new custom point options.
  • See THIS post for instructions how on to add your own RP costs.
Release 1.1 - November 15, 2011
  • Fixed the wrong bootstrap of Fearless that caused gamers to need the Bestiary data set. Reported by thundershot.
  • Flexible ability modifiers fixed as it should have allowed +2 to two ability scores. Reported by dartnet.
  • Advanced ability modifiers fixed. I added a Mental and Physical selections. Reported by dartnet.
  • Added a click-able option on the "In-Play" tab that you can select to suppress the error message for not spending all your Racial Points. Its called "Not spending all points". I also put a note on the "Racial Points Power Level". Asked for by dartnet.

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; November 20th, 2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Version updates.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old November 12th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Awesome! Thank you so much man.
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old November 12th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Looks good found a bug for you.

the flexible modifiers only adds +2 to one score.
dartnet is offline   #10 Reply With Quote