Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

tatteredking

Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
With the Sundered Skies settings, I've ended up having to have 13 different elf and 21 different wildling races, because one of their racial abilities allows for a choice. The choice results in a different ability.

I'm trying to deterimine an alternate way to restrict by race. Up until now, if I want to restrict something to all elves, I've used

Code:
hero.tagis[Race.racElf1] + hero.tagis[Race.racElf2] + ... hero.tagis[Race.racElfn] <> 0
It gets tedious having to write that out a lot.

I'm trying to determine if there is a way to restrict something by a racial ability that is unique to elves. Would something along these lines work?

Code:
hero.tagis[Ability.racElfSite] <>0
tatteredking is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Praetor

Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
I take it you are already using factions for something else, it would seem to me you could use factions to pick those specializations and only have to do one elf then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatteredking View Post
With the Sundered Skies settings, I've ended up having to have 13 different elf and 21 different wildling races, because one of their racial abilities allows for a choice. The choice results in a different ability.

I'm trying to deterimine an alternate way to restrict by race. Up until now, if I want to restrict something to all elves, I've used

Code:
hero.tagis[Race.racElf1] + hero.tagis[Race.racElf2] + ... hero.tagis[Race.racElfn] <> 0
It gets tedious having to write that out a lot.

I'm trying to determine if there is a way to restrict something by a racial ability that is unique to elves. Would something along these lines work?

Code:
hero.tagis[Ability.racElfSite] <>0

Alvin Leadbetter
www.rpden.net
Praetor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:40 PM
I agree that using the Faction mechanism to specify the "type" of elf would be the optimal way of handling this. If you're already using the Faction mechanism, we'll be adding a secondary mechanism of the same type that can be used with the next major update of the Savage Worlds data files.

If you want to stick with your current method, you can readily leverage wildcards within tag templates and tag expressions. Assuming all of your various flavors of Elf have unique ids like "racElfxxxx", you can easily use a wildcard template to identify a match on *any* elf race. Simply use the code below to detect any Elf flavor:

Code:
if (hero.tagis[Race.racElf?] <> 0)
The '?' means that the rest of the tag will match anything. So this translates to matching any hero that has a Race tag that starts with "racElf" and has anything after that. It's exactly designed for situations like you're facing and there's a detailed writeup in the wiki that delves into lots of other powerful capabilities you can leverage when working with tag templates, tag expressions, and wildcards.

Hope this helps....
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
tatteredking

Old August 24th, 2011, 03:17 AM
factions are currently being used for Deity, as AB Powers and some Edges are specified to certain deities. With Sundered Skies, I'm running into situations where there are things restricted by Deity, as well as things restricted by Faction(organized group). To make the different elven sub-races a Faction would entail having a third faction setting.

I've tried using wildcards and I have always got an error. I will definitely try again
tatteredking is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Praetor

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Wildcards are used with new power and power points edges, I found that out when I did not name my new arcane background edges with the standard edgArc naming system.

Such as.
hero.tagis[Edge.edgArc?] <> 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatteredking View Post
factions are currently being used for Deity, as AB Powers and some Edges are specified to certain deities. With Sundered Skies, I'm running into situations where there are things restricted by Deity, as well as things restricted by Faction(organized group). To make the different elven sub-races a Faction would entail having a third faction setting.

I've tried using wildcards and I have always got an error. I will definitely try again

Alvin Leadbetter
www.rpden.net
Praetor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Praetor

Old August 25th, 2011, 05:10 PM
How about giving everyone one free adge to use to select a religious background edge. Then they can choose who they worship that way and leave the factions open for your specializations.

Alvin Leadbetter
www.rpden.net
Praetor is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
tatteredking

Old August 31st, 2011, 04:01 AM
OK so I tried the wildcard and it worked, not sure why it didn;t before.

Free Edge to pick a religeous background. Hmm....that's not a bad idea
tatteredking is offline   #7 Reply With Quote