Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mynameisjake

Old March 16th, 2011, 09:12 AM
After creating a few nonmagical (gear) skill bonus items (that I had intended to occupy particular "slots"), I noticed that there is no conflict with magical items that require the same slot. Is this a bug? Or is that a rule in PF that I am unaware of, i.e. non magical items can be worn in the same slot as magical ones?

I considered attempting to use the "Preclude" tab to exclude items from overlapping in this way (at least I assume that can be done with that particular tab), but I'd have to perform a separate action for each existing item, yes?

Edit: Forgot to ask my question. Is there anyway (script) to force HL to recognize conflicts between gear and wondrous items?

Last edited by Mynameisjake; March 16th, 2011 at 09:15 AM.
Mynameisjake is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
bittergeek

Old March 16th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Pathfinder has no rules whatever for non-magical gear "slots" beyond physical limitations like number of hands and carrying capacity. A character can wear multiple robes, rings on every finger, bracelets to the elbow, even several layers of socks. It's only magic that has the "slot" rules, mostly to keep carried items under control. A pc can still wear enough bling to look like Mr T, but only one of those necklaces can be magical, with no regard to how many other normal items are sitting in that "slot".
bittergeek is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Can you create these as magic items, and simply not enter anything for the CL? (The user will have to select them on the magic tab, rather than the gear tab).
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mynameisjake

Old March 16th, 2011, 12:08 PM
@Bitter: Yeah, that's what I thought. The reason I asked, is that I use HL to check my PCs and NPCs for accuracy, and I almost let a nonmagical cloak (+2 to stealth, slot: shoulders) work with a Cloak of Resistance (Slot: Shoulders), which, while it may not technically violate the rules, violates my sense of common, well, sense. Overlapping "slots" for items that offer no benefit is fine, I just don't want items that do grant a benefit to get to overlap.

@Mathias: Sure, that absolutely works. I'm just trying to get a better feel for what can and can not be done, re: customizing. I was mostly hoping someone knew of some script that I could use, mostly so that the items show up in the proper section and preclude slot conflicts.

Thanks to both for the quick replies.
Mynameisjake is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 16th, 2011, 02:02 PM
You can see how the fact that a slot is filled is handled by going to the develop menu, and making sure that "Enable Data File Debugging" is checked, then at the bottom of that menu, select "Floating Info Windows", then "Show Hero Tags".

Add a few magic items that take slots and then watch the list of tags for any changes as you equip and un-equip those items.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mynameisjake

Old March 17th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks, M.

I'll give it a try.

I assume from the "Lone Wolf" tag beneath your name that you're a dev or employee? If so, just for the record, I'm a huge fan of HL. It has very quickly reached the "don't know what I'd do without it" stage. Kudos on an excellent product and great customer service.

J.
Mynameisjake is offline   #6 Reply With Quote