Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Matt Droz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 131

Old November 24th, 2017, 09:37 AM
See, I didn't use sub-races or ethnicities for the elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, etc. I simply had the user choose a race and, if they wanted to do subraces, I added them in as Alternate Racial Traits. The default races are the ones where no changes were made (i.e. Moon Elf, Shield Dwarf, etc.), and if they wanted to be an arctic dwarf or avariel, then the alt race trait makes the changes. Ethnicity I only used for the humans, since it's mostly descriptive, but is required for some character traits.

How are you handling the Cleric prestige classes like Stormlord and such? I created them as archetypes instead of a prestige class, giving the players a bit more flexibility so they aren't playing to get to the specialized class. The biggest difficulty was figuring out most of the domains, I agree. Most of the time, I just ignored a special ability for the domain and just gave them a good spell list.

Similarly, I changed most of the regional feats to character traits, since they were basically the same thing.

One last thing that I found really great was integrating the Mythic Rules into the Realms, since I was able to build Elminster to his FRCS stats using base Heroic NPC stats and the Mythic abilities. The unfortunate part is that there were a few items that only load if the player has other data packages (like Mythic or Ultimate Campaign).

Matt Droz Community material (Forgotten Realms & Non-SRD/Retro)
Matt Droz is offline   #151 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Andover, Ma
Posts: 534
Send a message via Skype™ to TobyFox2002

Old November 24th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Droz View Post
See, I didn't use sub-races or ethnicities for the elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, etc. I simply had the user choose a race and, if they wanted to do subraces, I added them in as Alternate Racial Traits. The default races are the ones where no changes were made (i.e. Moon Elf, Shield Dwarf, etc.), and if they wanted to be an arctic dwarf or avariel, then the alt race trait makes the changes. Ethnicity I only used for the humans, since it's mostly descriptive, but is required for some character traits.
Essentially thats what I'm doing, the issue is FORGOTTEN REALMS isnt the only content to consider. There is DRAGONLANCE, RAVENLOFT, EBERRON, etc. Each with their own unique flavor of races. And, creating manifold and varied rule sets for what a person wants to have "turned on" when selecting a source material would get rather complicated... FAST. IE, Only Spells or Only Spells & Feats, or Everything except Classes, gah... nasty. I decided it would be easier this way.

Quote:
How are you handling the Cleric prestige classes like Stormlord and such? I created them as archetypes instead of a prestige class, giving the players a bit more flexibility so they aren't playing to get to the specialized class. The biggest difficulty was figuring out most of the domains, I agree. Most of the time, I just ignored a special ability for the domain and just gave them a good spell list.
Not a bad idea, probably give them a unique domain and domain power some flavor abilities associated with the PrC. Open it up to some of the other divine classes besides cleric.

Quote:
Similarly, I changed most of the regional feats to character traits, since they were basically the same thing.
I dont like how regions are handled, but as far as that goes, the plan is to remove the racial special named FRCS Region and replace it with one that selects your region, then it will automatically bootstrap that region to your hero. Which will be used as the prereq for the region feats. Of which, all characters get one free at start OR can override with adjustments if they want to take the FRCS rule where they take the bonus equipment for region instead. I'm having trouble getting this to work the way I want though.

Quote:
One last thing that I found really great was integrating the Mythic Rules into the Realms, since I was able to build Elminster to his FRCS stats using base Heroic NPC stats and the Mythic abilities. The unfortunate part is that there were a few items that only load if the player has other data packages (like Mythic or Ultimate Campaign).
This is something I very much want to do as well. I have started working on adding FRCS spells to newer PF classes (and some 3PP classes). But, not any of the advanced books like Mythics or Ult Camp. I did create a Chosen of Mystra (or am working on) template based on sidebar info in one of the books. But, its absurd and completely OP. And the Magister Template even moreso.

Although, I did work on a Halruuan Skyship thing for Ult Campaign, but its very rough and house-rules. And prolly very... bad.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #152 Reply With Quote
Matt Droz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 131

Old November 24th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
Essentially thats what I'm doing, the issue is FORGOTTEN REALMS isnt the only content to consider. There is DRAGONLANCE, RAVENLOFT, EBERRON, etc. Each with their own unique flavor of races. And, creating manifold and varied rule sets for what a person wants to have "turned on" when selecting a source material would get rather complicated... FAST. IE, Only Spells or Only Spells & Feats, or Everything except Classes, gah... nasty. I decided it would be easier this way.
Setting it up by source material is time-consuming, but very worth it, IMHO. It allows me to preclude classes, deities, etc. that I don't want to show, and replace them with the ones I do want to show. The biggest annoyance is adding new material to the preclude list.

** Heh, ironically this discussion pointed out to me that there was some new material listed that I needed to preclude on my files. Updated!

Matt Droz Community material (Forgotten Realms & Non-SRD/Retro)

Last edited by Matt Droz; November 24th, 2017 at 11:35 AM.
Matt Droz is offline   #153 Reply With Quote
Abbanmu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center Valley, PA
Posts: 2

Old December 5th, 2017, 03:34 PM
I am new to HL and was hoping for some help. I am a GM that runs multiple campaigns and I was hoping to incorporate FR gods into my HL. Is there a place that gives simple instructions on the best way to set this up? I have tried loading the FRCS data file and get errors, which I am less worries about then the fact that I have never once been able to select FR gods in the deity selection area. I have managed to create magic items and different home rule specific weapons, but still cant get the deities to work. I see them in the tool, but when i try to make a PC i just cant select them. Any help?
Abbanmu is offline   #154 Reply With Quote
Abbanmu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center Valley, PA
Posts: 2

Old December 6th, 2017, 08:16 AM
The data files could not be loaded due to errors. Hero Lab will now attempt to load them in recovery mode. Once loaded, you can access the editor as normal to correct any errors.

The following errors occurred:

Thing 'ioElHorRe' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35Sunbe7' does not exist
Thing 'ioFRAnsHar' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35HeaCr5' does not exist
Thing 'ioFRGlChLa' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35HeaCr5' does not exist
Thing 'ioFROllHar' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35Eyebi6' does not exist
Thing 'isFREntrap' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35OtiRS4' does not exist
Thing 'tmFRChsnBa' - Bootstrap thing 'x35DamRd' does not exist
Thing 'tmFRZinCar' - Bootstrap thing 'x35DamRd' does not exist

Help is appreciated
Abbanmu is offline   #155 Reply With Quote
Dami
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 317

Old December 6th, 2017, 12:31 PM
@Abbanmu - Look back a page in this thread. Someone else had the same errors. You need to download the DnD Conversion file to work with the FR date file.

Current RPG's: D&D 3.5 (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #156 Reply With Quote
Slater Rockfist
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15

Old December 20th, 2017, 03:57 AM
Hello! I use the dragonlance adaption for herolab and created a mountain dwarf, but i can‘t add/change the alternate racial traits. Can someone help?
Slater Rockfist is offline   #157 Reply With Quote
DeltaMasterMind
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 357

Old December 20th, 2017, 04:47 AM
Alternate racial traits are enabled to races that are more a compassing race than a specific race. The Mountain Dwarf is a specific race and thus the ART was not enabled, but this makes sense as Dragonlance didn't have the generalizing that later content today has.

Forum link for my content work:
Pathfinder Thread
Forum link for SU 5e content work:
5e Steven Universe Thread
This link is for my group, but feel free to play it with:
DMM 5e | "https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsd9w1eodlnwjq0/updatesDMM.xml?dl=1" Copy this link to your update manager to get updates when available.
This adds the Pisky subrace to elves from Berserk! and additional subraces for the Gem Race.
Please post in provided threads above.
DeltaMasterMind is offline   #158 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Andover, Ma
Posts: 534
Send a message via Skype™ to TobyFox2002

Old December 20th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Delta is correct. But, I'll look into this for the future. There is no reason why they shoudn't have access to the ART's for dwarves.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #159 Reply With Quote
Zaknaefin
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New York
Posts: 67

Old December 21st, 2017, 08:51 AM
A workaround that I used was to turn off Dragonlance, select a normal Dwarf, select the ARTs you want, and then turn on Dragonlance and select the Dwarf subrace you want. This worked with my Theiwar. It did throw a warning, but did work.

Currently playing: Pathfinder Eberron, Pathfinder Homebrew, Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous AP, Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords AP
Zaknaefin is offline   #160 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.