Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Globetrotter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 199

Old November 4th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
Extrapolate from that...

Magic, Custom, and Masterwork Weapons.
Click New weapon.
Double click on Custom at the top with Price Varies to the side.

Change base type to +1
Choose Weapon and change that to Arrow
Half way down the dialogue box, click to add a new special ability
Select Bane

It's the default Pathfinder system that is getting you 50 projectiles for the same cost as 1 equivalent weapon, not something Hero Lab is doing.
If you want to buy in an atypical quantity that the Pathfinder game does not assume you'll want to do, you need to apply a workabout in HL.

It tells you that a +1 Bane Arrow is 8,302gp and 5sp, which is for 50 of them.
Divide the cost by 50, and you have the per arrow cost.
Buy as many as you can afford, using Custom Cost to pay the correct amount for the number you're buying.
Then sell the rest back for 0% of the purchase value, since the ones you're not taking you didn't pay for.
I really don't see why you are pressing this point. I am not talking about normal arrows. I am talking about magic arrows.

Pathfinder does not assume you are always crafting magic arrows. Do you know what they assume, that you find the arrows they place in their adventure paths and modules. There is no reason why HL needs to make adding a single magic arrow so hard. I do appreciate you playing "devil's advocate" but your process is so much harder for every player than just adding a single arrow as a weapon.

I have to add 10 cold iron +1 bane arrows, 5 phase locking arrows, 5 axiomatic arrows. If I had a single arrow, do you know how long that takes to add, seconds.

Since I don't do you know how long it takes to add all of that... well, shoot, where is my calculator so I can get this very comprehensive program to add this, because your argument is that Pathfinders, the developers of the game and not this program do not assume a person is going to find arrows, only craft them.

The point if this is to get the developers to add a single arrow. It's a product request per the rules presented in the forums. If adding an arrow somehow insults your sensibilities, I apologize. It's something my entire party would like and probably a feature you would also use if available.
Globetrotter is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Krothos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 320

Old November 4th, 2017, 09:51 AM
I personally think it would be a very nice feature to improve with Hero Lab if LW would add the option to purchase individual (or quantities less than 50) magic arrows.
Krothos is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago, IL (USA)
Posts: 10,611

Old November 4th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Just FYI I just tried to make a magic arrow less than 50 in the editor. So far its not going well at all as HL is seems pretty hard-coded to deal only in 50. Anything else is throwing off all the calculations or causes HL to still charge you for the cost of 50 magic arrows which defeats the whole purpose.

I admit I thought this would be pretty easy to fix and its not turning out to be that way at all. I will try again tomorrow when I have more time but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 199

Old November 4th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Shadow, I thank you whole heartedly for trying. If anyone can do it outside of a developer it would be you.

Maybe if enough people want it we could see it on a future update.
Globetrotter is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Azhrei
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 321

Old November 4th, 2017, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
It's the default Pathfinder system that is getting you 50 projectiles for the same cost as 1 equivalent weapon, not something Hero Lab is doing.
I’m sorry, I don’t agree.

We buy software to HELP US run the game. How — exactly? — does this help me?

I realize that the PF game system is based on D&D3.5 and I understand that many things are done the way they are in PF because of that. But it seems pretty obvious that anything that is sold ONLY in quantity, could easily have additional equipment items created by a script that copies the information and reduces the quantity down to one. Perhaps the simplest thing is to allow the user to purchase 50 arrows (although 20 makes more sense) and simply default the quantity field to 50 (or 20) and then let the user change it. Easy-peasy.

Hero Lab should do this already.

Last edited by Azhrei; November 4th, 2017 at 11:17 PM.
Azhrei is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Ualaa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada.
Posts: 495

Old November 4th, 2017, 11:30 PM
I'm not saying Hero Lab shouldn't do it.
But the Pathfinder crafting system is pretty clear that when you're crafting projectiles you get 50 of them for the same resource expenditure as putting the same enchant onto a (cross)bow.

The game itself it giving you the option of crafting one weapon or fifty projectiles for the same cost.
The default Pathfinder assumption is one weapon or fifty projectiles.
The default assumption is not, craft one arrow.
The caster/crafter who takes the time to enchant arrows is going to end up with fifty of them, because Pathfinder doesn't have a formula for the crafter to end up with 1, 3, 10, 14 and 39 of them; the formula is this expenditure of resources creates 50 of that projectile.

The system Hero Lab has, allows you to duplicate the crafting system of the game.
Sure, it might be nice to purchase 11 arrows, if you have 11/50th of the cost of a +2 Demon Bade arrow.
But the Pathfinder magic item creation rules does not have a pricing mechanic for an item crafter to create 11 arrows.
You can extrapolate the cost of 50, double that for the cost of 100 and then move the decimal over two places for the cost of one.
But the system itself doesn't allow the item creator to make less than 50s, unless you want to house-rule an optional rule in.

Given that we're not all playing by-the-book or pathfinder-society play, I'd support adding the feature.
A more flexible program is better for all.

But, as it sits, Hero Lab is able to craft following the pricing as described in the Core Rulebook.
Ualaa is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago, IL (USA)
Posts: 10,611

Old November 5th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
Shadow, I thank you whole heartedly for trying. If anyone can do it outside of a developer it would be you.

Maybe if enough people want it we could see it on a future update.
I finally got something to work but it requires a little info if you want to buy a stack of arrows besides just one. Also this is a sort of a 'hack' and it only will work for +1 or greater arrows. Otherwise the cost will come out as zero. As of Community Pack v1.19 the cost always calculates correctly even for masterwork arrows.

This will be in the next release of the Community Pack v1.11+ which will drop in the next 10 days.

You need to turn on "ShadowChemosh's Equipment" to now see a new single magical arrow. Adding one is easy as adding any other +1 magical weapon. If you wanted to buy say 5 +1 arrows you have to do small step slightly out of order. Here let me show you:

1) Click on the "new Magic, Custom or masterwork weapon" option on the Weapons tab.
2) BEFORE you add the "- Custom / magic weapon -" you need to set the number of arrows. Set the "Stack" option to "Add new stack" and set the "number to add" to be 5 (or whatever quantity you wish to purchase):
Stacks.jpg

3) Then set the custom magic weapon screen to the new weapon type 'Arrow' and set to be +1 or greater. You can see the correct cost is then calculated.
Image3.jpg

4) Finally once added to your character you will display 5 +1 arrows:
Image4.jpg

From what I can tell this is all working and you can even sell them for the correct value at 50% or 100%.

P.S. - Trying to add a pre-built 5x arrow item caused all sorts of strange results. For now I have given up on adding a 5x, 10x pre-stack. Sorry!

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; September 9th, 2018 at 10:51 AM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 199

Old November 5th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
I'm not saying Hero Lab shouldn't do it.
But the Pathfinder crafting system is pretty clear that when you're crafting projectiles you get 50 of them for the same resource expenditure as putting the same enchant onto a (cross)bow.

The game itself it giving you the option of crafting one weapon or fifty projectiles for the same cost.
The default Pathfinder assumption is one weapon or fifty projectiles.
The default assumption is not, craft one arrow.
The caster/crafter who takes the time to enchant arrows is going to end up with fifty of them, because Pathfinder doesn't have a formula for the crafter to end up with 1, 3, 10, 14 and 39 of them; the formula is this expenditure of resources creates 50 of that projectile.

The system Hero Lab has, allows you to duplicate the crafting system of the game.
Sure, it might be nice to purchase 11 arrows, if you have 11/50th of the cost of a +2 Demon Bade arrow.
But the Pathfinder magic item creation rules does not have a pricing mechanic for an item crafter to create 11 arrows.
You can extrapolate the cost of 50, double that for the cost of 100 and then move the decimal over two places for the cost of one.
But the system itself doesn't allow the item creator to make less than 50s, unless you want to house-rule an optional rule in.

Given that we're not all playing by-the-book or pathfinder-society play, I'd support adding the feature.
A more flexible program is better for all.

But, as it sits, Hero Lab is able to craft following the pricing as described in the Core Rulebook.

That's all good and well, but we are not talking about crafting. We are talking about adding items to our character sheets. The purchase options in hero lab should not assume crafting over purchasing or finding items.
Globetrotter is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 199

Old November 5th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I finally got something to work...

Fantastic!! You are the best
Globetrotter is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Krothos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 320

Old November 6th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Thank you SC!!!
Krothos is offline   #20 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.