Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

AEIOU

Old September 9th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Over in the World Builder G+ group, Mighto Kondriac posted a piece on Constructed Universal Time that may be of interest to us budding calendar artists while we wait. With a wee little nudging I bet he'd go whole hog on researching and developing the necessary formulae. I'm sure this is what is delaying the release of calendars as Rob works through how to implement the chronology of the entire universe.

http://mnkwrkshop.blogspot.com/2015/...dient-stg.html
AEIOU is offline   #231 Reply With Quote
Decrayer

Old September 13th, 2015, 09:41 AM
+1 to a better and individual calendar system.

The current one is a pain in the ass to use. I have a lot of events that take place in a range of 1200 years and selecting the year for each of them is so much more complicated than just typing the year.

And in my world I use a totally different calendar and time-system that can't be represented by the gregorian calendar (try to enter dates that are million of years in the past is impossible).
Decrayer is offline   #232 Reply With Quote
trechriron

Send a message via Yahoo to trechriron

Old October 5th, 2015, 10:00 AM
So, what is the ETA on the calendar function? I keep poking my head in on the software I kickstarted and finding that I can only use the session/time-keeping functions if I'm running a European analog. :-P

I REALLY want to use RW full time at the table. This is one thing that's keeping me from doing that.
trechriron is offline   #233 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old October 5th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Regrettably the response is "soon".

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #234 Reply With Quote
GuernseyMan

Old October 10th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I'm in the same boat as trechriron. Realmworks doesn't even get off the starting blocks for me without the calendar function.

I pop by about every couple of months to see whats changed and whether my 6 months of free web space will expire before I've really used it :-)
GuernseyMan is offline   #235 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 10th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuernseyMan View Post
I pop by about every couple of months to see whats changed and whether my 6 months of free web space will expire before I've really used it :-)
It won't expire until they release the Content Market. But that will come before Calendars and a number of other features are likely to come before calendars, so there is a good chance that calendars will be releases more than six months after the content market is released.

Still, my hope is that the content market is taking the majority of the development resources and after it is released, journals, the ability to copy your realm, and printing will come quite quickly. Then, finally, they'll be able to focus on calendars. The bulk of the coding on calendars has been completed, so—fingers crossed—they can be released soon after the content market is released.

As someone who has been chomping at the bit for custom calendars since I first began using RW, I do have to ask you why you won't use RW until calendars are released.

I can understand why some people will not use RW until they can print their content and I can see why some would not use it until they can copy their content to a new realm. With printing it is a matter of controlling your content and the ability to use RW to manage content and prep for session but still play without a computer at a table. With copying your realm, if you use the same campaign world for multiple campaigns/groups, it it necessary since manually copying a large realm multiple times is not practical.

But calendars, as incredibly helpful as they would be, are not quite the same. I manage my calendars in a separate spreadsheet. It is an important part of my campaign that doesn't get integrated into RW and that is frustrating. But RW is still very helpful in managing my campaign content. Not having calendars in RW doesn't prevent me from building my world, preping for sessions, or using player view at table.

There has been discussion about this in this and other threads, but I do encourage you to give RW a shot. Of course, keep politely reminding the developers that calendars are extremely important to you. But become an active user. I would guess that an active user's requests are going to carry some more weight than someone who has not used it and is threatening to never use it.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #236 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old October 10th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Re calendars I will have to agree with MNBlockHead.

It is a feature we really need. I too run a campaign heavily dependent on calendars (note the plural) but until calendars is integrated in RW I make do with notes (in RW) and a spreadsheets and a part of me brain set aside for that purpose.

Annoying? Yes. Reason to not start using RW? Absolutely not.

RW gives me so much control and overview of my world, my NPC's and my plots that today it is difficult to understand how I made do before I laid my greasy hands on RW.

From what I understand the calendar feature - when it comes - is likely to blow our socks off. But other things come first - I am looking forward to better journals and the ability to copy my settings and/or bits of my realm to new realms.

So, I recommend you start digging into RW sooner than later.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #237 Reply With Quote
ArgoForg

Old October 11th, 2015, 08:49 PM
I can't say that I won't be using RW without calendars, but I do have to admit that my use of RW has greatly dwindled in the last couple months or so, and it's a little on the discouraging side that the two features I really need more than anything else (which would pretty well let me get back to it with a lot more frequency), namely custom calendars and export, are still a ways off on the nebulous horizon.

Part of this, I realize, is a beast of my own creation... I am using RW as a mobile database for my world rather than as an accessory to use at the gaming table. But that said, as far as I'm concerned, once those two things are implemented reasonably, RW is every bit as good as a viable finished product to me. The player's side, the content market, the web version and all the little tweaks? Sure, I'll be happy to see them, but they're all gravy to me. Once I can complete and cross-reference my world's history, and export information to a format that will allow me to copy and paste from into single documents (rather than having to copy and paste each field and snippet), I'll be using it a lot more regularly.

But right now, sad to say, I've found myself using Scrivener a lot more, and only here and there moving information into RW. I really hope that changes soon, because I really do like RW and think it's an awesome piece of software, and really want to start using it for everything.

Darker Age Press - Writer and Developer
Realm Works Projects: World of Phantasie (Castles & Crusades)
RPG and Art Software Used: Realm Works, Hero Lab, Campaign Cartographer 3+, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, Evernote, Scrivener, OneNote, Photoshop, Poser Pro, Cinema 4D, Vue 8 Complete.
ArgoForg is offline   #238 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 12th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoForg View Post
Once I can complete and cross-reference my world's history, and export information to a format that will allow me to copy and paste from into single documents (rather than having to copy and paste each field and snippet), I'll be using it a lot more regularly.
Help save the planet, use RW on a laptop at the gaming table instead of printing out lots of paper that are only useful for the one gaming session.
Farling is offline   #239 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 12th, 2015, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Help save the planet, use RW on a laptop at the gaming table instead of printing out lots of paper that are only useful for the one gaming session.
Help support my PatreGoGoStarter campaign, "Buy Mike Enough Computer Equipment So All Of The Places He Runs Games Can Approximate The Convenience And Instant Access Of A Piece Of Paper."

(And neither of these helps publishers. We'd need a pretty flexible export capability for that.)

Last edited by Parody; October 12th, 2015 at 05:26 AM.
Parody is offline   #240 Reply With Quote