Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

JTFinnegan

Old July 21st, 2015, 12:00 AM
As it is right now, if I want to keep a list of topics of the monsters that are in my realm, i have to store it under Peoples. Since I don't think of hell hounds or skeletons or even dragons as Peoples it bothers me a little bit. I also like to keep my good guys and my bad guys separate.

Thus my request is to add a new top level Topic of Enemies between People and Groups.
JTFinnegan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old July 21st, 2015, 02:01 AM
Just so you know, those are called Simple Groupings (Topics) or Families (Articles). You may want to add to this suggestion thread about letting you customize them.

Unwanted Side Effect: A Category (and thus its related Topics/Articles) can only belong to one Simple Grouping/Family, so you're going to have some duplication of effort in having two Categories that both describe an NPC that only differ based on what they think about the PCs.

Advice Aside: I'm not sure if you're talking about specific individuals or just generic entries for "skeleton" or "hell hound" or whatever. The intent for generic entries for a type of threat is to make them Mechanics Articles in the Danger Family. The built-in category for this is Monster/Enemy, though I usually make my own. Important individuals of all types get a Topic of some kind that links to their base type's Article, if there is one. To me those are People, whether or not their goals align with the party's.

You could consider using Containment; these Topics/Articles don't have to appear under their Simple Grouping/Family at all. You can make them show up elsewhere if you want.

Another option is to change (under Manage/Preferences, Navigation View) to using Categories as the top-level organization scheme instead of the Simple Groupings/Families and see if that works better for you. (I use the Simple Groupings despite the help text saying that "advanced users" might prefer Categories, so YMMV.)

More stuff to think about; I hope it helps.

Last edited by Parody; July 21st, 2015 at 02:34 AM.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Bobifle

Old July 21st, 2015, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
make them Mechanics Articles in the Danger Family. The built-in category for this is Monster/Enemy,
This.

Almost anything can be put in the predefined Categories/groups. I think it benefits the whole community if everyone is using them as intended, it improves communication and understanding between users, allow to share experiences and best practice and will probably ease content sharring once the market is up.

However, everyone is free to use the software as they please so don't take make my comment for an injunction , just something left for your consideration.
Bobifle is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old July 21st, 2015, 07:27 PM
Remember, if you place people, beasts, what-not in a dedicated enemy group AND at the same time reveal these to your players, they would be able to see, that the individual entity (or type of entity, as the case might be) is grouped as enemies.

That might not be for the best, as it might ruin a few surprises.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old July 21st, 2015, 07:47 PM
Honestly, I would suggest creating a "test case" realm where you can fiddle with the various options and see how they change things (like turning off Simple Groups).

Otherwise, there is a tag on the Individual topics for things like "Ally", "Adversary", etc.

That may be a better way to tag ( ) enemies than to make a topic or Simple Group for them.
Silveras is offline   #5 Reply With Quote