Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Nemesis

Old January 16th, 2015, 09:37 AM
I was working on one of my realms today and added a map I had created in CC3 (saved it as a PNG) as a smart image. While I was playing with the smart image tools, I noticed there seems to be no "edit in external editor" command (or anything similar) that would allow me to work on the image stored in the db outside of RW.

Am I missing something? Why can't I edit these images in an external program? It works with simple images if I'm not mistaken.
Nemesis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old January 16th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I was working on one of my realms today and added a map I had created in CC3 (saved it as a PNG) as a smart image. While I was playing with the smart image tools, I noticed there seems to be no "edit in external editor" command (or anything similar) that would allow me to work on the image stored in the db outside of RW.

Am I missing something? Why can't I edit these images in an external program? It works with simple images if I'm not mistaken.
Nope, you missed nothing.

You have to load from CC3. If you want to change it, load up CC3 and edit it, then copy/paste into RW again.

If you didn't change any sizes, then I BELIEVE that the pins won't move when you copy the image over again.
Pollution is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 16th, 2015, 11:05 AM
RW is a one-way import at this time for most things. Smart images cannot be pulled back out for editing, use in VTT's, or to copy to another snippet, etc. You must keep a copy separate from RW if you want to use it outside of RW.

Yes, this is a pain. Export is on the list of to-do's.
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 16th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
It works with simple images if I'm not mistaken.
Sort of. The default option for most image types is viewing them in the Windows Photo Viewer, which isn't all that helpful for editing anything. It'd be nice to set external editors separately at some point.

In any case, I prefer to manage source files for such things outside of Realm Works. It lets me use native file formats, revision control, and asset management methods. You might find it works better that way.

Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old May 16th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Not being able to cut and paste images between topics makes some editing far more complicated for re-editing and changing structures. I do love the ability to just copy and paste images into RW and was surprised when I discovered I couldn't do the reverse.
Gord is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 18th, 2015, 07:27 AM
What is the proper procedure to replace a map with an updated version?

I did clear image and then loaded the new image from file. The pins remained but were not in their proper locations. I need to test some more to make sure I'm keeping the sizes exactly the same, but the pins seemed not just off but squished together.

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully replaced a map and had the pins remain in their proper places. I have a World Map that I want to edit to show river names and some new landmarks, but I'm afraid to mess up the pins. I still have the original image, so I assume that if thinks don't work out, and can re-clear the image and re-import the original image and all the pins should be back in the correct spot.

I'll create a new sandbox topic to experiment, until I'm comfortable, but I would appreciate any tips if anyone has any to share.
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old May 18th, 2015, 08:54 AM
I am running a hexploration campaign,and I am using a smart image to show what has been explored.

Once my PCs discover a previously hidden resource, I have been generating a new map with new icons to show the contents of individual hexes. I am maintaining my map in Hexographer, and as long as I re-export at the same resolution I have had no issues whatever with pin placement. How are you making / updating your map? You need to make sure that the new map is exactly the same resolution as the one you are replacing, but if you do that, my experience is it works like a champ.

Last edited by JustinThomason; May 18th, 2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
JustinThomason is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 18th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Good to hear. The only time I've tried it so far is with a Cityographer map. I thought I created a new image at the same resolution, but apparently I changed something in the export.
MNBlockHead is offline   #8 Reply With Quote