Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

EightBitz

Old May 5th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Can I ask a basic mechanics question here?

Total Shadowrun n00b here, reading up on 5th edition. I'm looking forward to the 5th edition module for Hero Lab, but before I start relying on that, I want to at least understand how to create characters manually, and I've hit a point where there's something I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly.

One of the characters I'm creating is an Elf Adept. Priorities are: Metatype = A, Attributes = C, Magic/Resonance = B, Skills = E, Resources = D.

So, that results in Edge = 1 and Magic = 6 with 8 points to distribute between them ... except if I understand correctly, the maximum for each is 6 (putting aside the "Exceptional" quality ... let's leave that out of this for the sake of my question).

Of those 8 points, I can only assign 5 to Edge and none to magic. That leaves me with three points that I can't assign.

So my question is, am I wasting the priority A on Metatype? Would that be better used elsewhere? Or is there something I can do with those three extra points that I'm missing? (Again, putting aside the "Exceptional" quality.)
EightBitz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old May 6th, 2014, 05:56 AM
If I remember right, Magic Priority B gives you less than a 6 magic.... You should be able to put the points in to raise it to a 6 in that case
TCArknight is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
d20Maverick

Old May 6th, 2014, 06:37 AM
TCArknight, Magic B for Adepts does provide Magic 6 (SR5e p. 65).

EightBitz, for an Adept, if you're set on Metatype A, then I would drop Magic to C or D (which gives you Magic 4 or Magic 2), allowing you to spend your "special" attribute points to boost your Magic back up to 6. You can then assign a better priority to boosting your Attributes or Skills.

Otherwise, yes, you're wasting the Priority A on Metatype, because you're losing several "special" attribute points, which can only be spent on Edge, Magic, or Resonance.
d20Maverick is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old May 6th, 2014, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCArknight View Post
If I remember right, Magic Priority B gives you less than a 6 magic.... You should be able to put the points in to raise it to a 6 in that case
It depends on the type of spellcaster. For an Adept, it is 6.
EightBitz is offline   #4 Reply With Quote