Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Posts 8-12 in this thread: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=40391 are a discussion of how to show a tab only for certain characters.
Ok so I can forward tags from the Actor.str file to the hero, is there a way to forward bootstraps in the same way or do those have to be added to the specialties and chapters instead?
RavenX is offline   #81 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2013, 09:31 AM
There is no way to script a bootstrap. They must be in place before scripts start running, because the bootstrapped thing will have its own scripts to run.
Mathias is offline   #82 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 30th, 2013, 09:34 AM
ok so the only way to have a group of bootstraps on a character up front is through the bootstrap.1st file?
RavenX is offline   #83 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Back up - what's the goal here?
Mathias is offline   #84 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 30th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I was asking because Space Marines have a series of implants (which add talents to the character for free). Space Marines are basically similar to Dark Heresey characters but have roughly 12,000 XP spent at the start from talents and advances already accounted for.

My goal is to get the implants automatically placed on space marine characters and only space marines. Hence why I was asking about doing a scrip to see if the character is a space marine before forwarding the bootstraps.
RavenX is offline   #85 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2013, 10:09 AM
What I'd do, in order to plan ahead for compatability with other dark heresy series games, is to add a race selection to the characters. At this point, the only race you'd add is the space marine, but you still want to create a chooser that users will use to select a race, and you'll use the autoadd option in bootstrap.1st to make the default selection in that chooser the space marine race.

Then, even though you've created that chooser, you don't add it as a portalref anywhere, until you're ready to expand to another game, when you'd create other races.
Mathias is offline   #86 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Alternatively, create a single space marine race, and bootstrap it from every chapter.
Mathias is offline   #87 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Yeah, go with the bootstrap option, rather than the chooser option. That way, once you have multiple games, the user doesn't have to choose "Space Marine", then chapter, or human, then background, or ork, then ork mek - they just choose the subtype, and the race itself is bootstrapped by that.
Mathias is offline   #88 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Alright that sounds like a solid plan.
If this is done properly we can expand it to include other systems. Which is my intention. I hadn't thought about it before but Pathfinder has subtypes for race that bootstrap things like Darkvision. Character race subtypes would work in this setting to cover the hidden bootstraps, and not require me to bootstrap all the items to chapters.

I am working on solo mode abilities currently and set them up to enmasse onto the character. I am trying to get a script created on the component that assigns a Hide tag to the ability if the rank requirement is not met yet. Space Marines automatically gain Solo Mode and Squad Mode abilities as they gain Ranks, and some of these abilities expand as they level up. I'd like my fixed table I set up to just show the abilities the character has met the rank for.

Code:
    <!-- Hide us if we don't meet the required rank -->
    <eval index="1" phase="Initialize" priority="10000"><![CDATA[
      if (herofield[acRank].value < field[ReqRank].value) then
        perform assign[Hide.SoloMode]
        endif
      ]]></eval>
RavenX is offline   #89 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2013, 10:45 AM
The solo mode abilities can be bootstraps from the space marine race, rather than enmasses - Dark Heresy characters won't get them.

Looks good on the script - what list expression do you have on the table to go along with that tag assignment?
Mathias is offline   #90 Reply With Quote