Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Normanak

Old October 10th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I'm playing an Elan in an Old West setting so I need to add guns and such to the psionics unleashed user file. What's the best way to do that without having to redo everything when updates come out? Can I create a user file with just the western gear I need and use that in addition to the psionics unleashed file? How would I do that? Thanks!
Normanak is offline   #141 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 10th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanak View Post
I'm playing an Elan in an Old West setting so I need to add guns and such to the psionics unleashed user file. What's the best way to do that without having to redo everything when updates come out? Can I create a user file with just the western gear I need and use that in addition to the psionics unleashed file? How would I do that? Thanks!
You really should never modify the PU .user/.1st files directly as you will lose your changes in the next release. If you need to modify an existing Thing in the PU data package then you would do a "Replace Thing ID" just like you would against something official from LW.

If this is all new to you then I would advise following Question#2 from the FAQ. It has info on how to start using the editor and a four intro YouTube videos.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #142 Reply With Quote
radionausea

Old October 19th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Where are the pre-requisites for the prestige classes in this dataset hiding themselves? I'd like to change a few to make them fit my house rules but there's nothing under Pick-Reqs or anywhere else that I can see.
radionausea is offline   #143 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old October 19th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radionausea View Post
Where are the pre-requisites for the prestige classes in this dataset hiding themselves? I'd like to change a few to make them fit my house rules but there's nothing under Pick-Reqs or anywhere else that I can see.
Go to the Class Level tab (instead of Class Tab), and you can find them there under Expr-reqs and Pre-reqs.
Sendric is offline   #144 Reply With Quote
radionausea

Old October 20th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks a lot
radionausea is offline   #145 Reply With Quote
JeffSandmeier

Old November 9th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Trying to put some of the stuff from Psionics Expanded into HeroLab myself, using the examples from the kind people who did Psionics Unleashed for us. However, I am having trouble with the power point progression tables, as in I can't find them. I can make a class psionic, the tab shows up, but the power points are non-existant. How did you set up the table, where is it stored? I can create some of the classes by copying the existing ones, but others (like the Marksman) have a different progression than Psion or Psychic Warrior. Please help if you can.
JeffSandmeier is offline   #146 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 9th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSandmeier View Post
Trying to put some of the stuff from Psionics Expanded into HeroLab myself, using the examples from the kind people who did Psionics Unleashed for us. However, I am having trouble with the power point progression tables, as in I can't find them. I can make a class psionic, the tab shows up, but the power points are non-existant. How did you set up the table, where is it stored? I can create some of the classes by copying the existing ones, but others (like the Marksman) have a different progression than Psion or Psychic Warrior. Please help if you can.
I would wait on this actually for two reasons. TACknight has already started on the Expanded content.

The bigger reason is I have a version coming out soon that makes some big changes to the Framework that PU is running on. At that time it should be easier as I am changing over to 99% use of Spells instead of the strange half 3.5 Psionics and half Pathfinder spell system its currently using.

So the reason you can't find stuff as it exists only in the RAW XML and in the structure files that got carried over from d20 system that Pathfinder was built on.

The new version you will setup the point cost in the Spell Array that is easily accessible from inside the editor. I am still in testing mode and somethings like the Psionics tab will be going away in the next release as it just confuses things and Colen from LW has already said that may be removed in a future release of Pathfinder. Meaning it would all break anyways so may as well move away from it now.

So the new Framework allows you to correctly spend the POWER points on the Spell tab and the In-Play tab.

Example Layout:
Here we see the Spell tab and it shows 12 points for level 1 and level 2 powers.
Noname.jpg
Here we see we used 2 power points to cast the same 1st level power two times. You see we now show 10 points for level 1 and level 2.
Noname2.jpg
Here we see we cast one 2nd level power and it used up 3 power points as we have dropped down to 7 power points level.
Noname3.jpg
The top most power you see is called "Augment Power" and is where you would spend a points 1:1 to keep track of the powers you augment.

I don't have a pic but the above TOTALS will also display on the "In-Play" tab on a tracker and you can spend power points using the tracker if you wish, for non-power related abilities, and they will reflect correctly on the Spell tab.

I had some of my players try it out and they picked up using pretty easily with very little instructions.

Spells in Pathfinder will be supported AS is going forward the d20 Psionics have no such guarantee from LW so to future proof ourselves we need to move away from the d20 Psionics that is setup.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #147 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 10th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I had a few minutes so I would talk about setup in the editor for Psionic classes that are coming. Here I will be using the Psion as the example.

First in the editor on the "Class" tab is a section for spellcasters. This is also now where we will setup the new power information.
Psion1.jpg
Spellcaster Type: must be setup as Spontaneous(Bard). I can't think of any cases where this would not apply currently.
Bonus Spell Attribute: Is where we setup which attribute the class gets its bonus power points from.
Max Spell Level Attribute: Should be left none.
Magic Type: should be left as None.

Spells Cast Per Level is a huge array of values that have to be setup a little different than a normal spellcaster.
SpellsCast.jpg
So Column 0 should most likely be left as zeros/blanks as no cantrip powers. Column 1 from row 0 to row 19 controls the total number of Power points the class gets based on the number listed on the class under "Power Points/Day" column.

The "1"'s that are on this array are also very important. They control the level that 2nd, 3rd... powers can be used. So we see Row 2 (which is level 3) is listed as 1 as a Psion can use 2nd level powers at this point.

Spells Known Per Level is a huge array of values that have to be setup to control the number of powers known at each level. This one is controlled off the "Powers Known" column on the Psion class. Yea but that only lists the total powers known amount you say. So this is setup in a way that assumes that at level 3 you can take 2 new powers and they will both be 2nd level powers. Granted by the rules you could take more level 1 powers and you still can but will get a warning message about taking too many level 1 powers. Its not perfect but its really close.
SpellsKnown.jpg

Tags
We have to let our new Mechanics understand that we have a Psionics Class and that it can Manifest powers. So to do this we place two new Tags on the class:
Tags.jpg

Scripts
The final setup is on the Eval Scripts button. You will need to push the new tags on to the hero. The other script calls a new custom Procedure I wrote that will correctly setup all the power points on the class and our spells on the Spell tab. This makes things allot easier as its allot of code and I don't to have to put it on each class. Plus if I make any fixes in it I want to make sure that Custom classes gamers have done will pick up those fixes/changes in the new release without having to make changes themselves to the scripts.
Scripts.jpg

Anyways thought I would share some of the new setup that is coming.

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; November 10th, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #148 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 10th, 2012, 11:35 AM
New Psionics Unleashed tags and their meanings:

Group Psionics is similar to the default Psionic group HL did but with new features.
  • Psionics.PP? - Is set on spells (ie powers) to control the number of power points the power costs to activate. (ie PP0, PP1, PP3, PP5, PP7, PP9, PP11, PP13, PP15, PP17).
  • Psionics.Power - This tells the new mechanics that a spell is actually a power not a spell so that they spend the correct number of power points when used.
  • Psionics.Focused - Is now set on to the hero for when the Psionically Focused ability is active.
  • Psionics.Manifester - This is placed on a class and pushed to the hero very early. It lets the mechanics in the background understand we can Manifest powers.
  • Psionics.Class - This is placed on a class and pushed to the hero very early. It lets the mechanics in the background know we have a Psionics unleashed class.
  • Psionics.Race - This is placed on a race and pushed to the hero very early. It lets the mechanics in the background know we have a Psionics unleashed race.
Group MindBlade is used to control the Soulknife's main weapon MindBlade. The different types Light, OneHanded, and TwoHanded are pushed to the hero early on so other Things can test for which mind blade is active.
  • MindBlade.Light - Marks a Mind Blade weapon as a light weapon.
  • MindBlade.OneHanded - Marks a Mind Blade as a One Handed weapon.
  • MindBlade.TwoHanded - Marks a Mind Blade as a Two Handed weapon.
  • MindBlade.Exotic - Future use for when they allow Exotic mindblade types like a Double Sword.
  • MindBlade.Weapon - Default tag saying this is a type of Mind Blade weapon. This allows other scripts to easily look for a Mind Blade without having to know the exact Thing ID.

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; June 16th, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #149 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old November 10th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post

The bigger reason is I have a version coming out soon that makes some big changes to the Framework that PU is running on. At that time it should be easier as I am changing over to 99% use of Spells instead of the strange half 3.5 Psionics and half Pathfinder spell system its currently using.

So, out of curiosity, how are you going to handle a multiclass mage/psion that takes a metapsionic feat that by definition affects only psionics and not spells?

IMO, we need to go the other direction and get Lone Wolf to support the use of psionics as a integrated game mechanic that is separate from spells.
Quintain is offline   #150 Reply With Quote