Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
EightBitz

Old August 11th, 2016, 02:50 AM
OK, I've been mulling something over in my head for a while now.

The old Doctor Who system, the one published by FASA in the Dark Ages (acoustic modems and no public internet) has a group of attributes, like most games do.

Each of those attributes then becomes its own pool of skill points.

So, say STR=7, DEX=5, INT=6
(It's not D&D)

Now I have a group of skills where each skill is associated with an attribute.

Combat is associated with STR, Stealth with DEX, and Math with INT (just building an example here).

Now, if I apply 1 point from my STR pool to combat, there's a multiplier. So 1 point turns into 4 points or 10 points or whatever. Same if I apply points from DEX to stealth and from INT to math.

Say I'm all done applying associated points, and I still have 3 points left in STR. I can apply those points to a DEX or INT skill, but there's no multiplier. Since it's not an associated skill, it's a 1:1 ratio.

During character creation and advancement, people are going to be assigning points, changing their minds, and unassigning then reassigning points.

This means a lot of tracking. There are four pools of skill points. Points can come from any and all pools into a single skill, but only the associated pool has a multiplier.

Each skill has to track how many points it has from each pool to allow for dynamic tracking.

Then the UI would need a method of assigning, unassigning and reassigning all these points in a manner that allows the user to control the source and destination as skill points flow back and forth.

So, my question is, has anyone already done anything like this? And if so, are you willing to share?

I have some ideas, but they're clunky and imperfect.
EightBitz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote