Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

rlbeaver

Old October 23rd, 2016, 06:40 AM
This is probably answered and I just didn't see it skimming for it...if so, feel free to point me to it and delete this question...

I see with the content market, you will also be able to copy your personal content. Do both or either feature require subscription to the cloud?

In other words, if I don't subscribe to the cloud, will I still be able to buy content from the content market, and will I be able to duplcate realms, etc (I understand sharing content would likely be reliant on the subscription).

Thanks
rlbeaver is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:21 AM
If it isn't mentioned in the recent announcement at http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=56781, then it hasn't been revealed yet.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:06 AM
I think your question might - at least in part - be answered here:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....6&postcount=10

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rlbeaver

Old October 24th, 2016, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
I think your question might - at least in part - be answered here:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....6&postcount=10
Thanks! I figured I missed something in scanning the forums. That removes one of my two issues I have with using Realmworks. Hoping the other will eventually make it into the change list.
rlbeaver is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 24th, 2016, 06:55 AM
Okay. I'll bite. What's the other issue?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rlbeaver

Old October 25th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Okay. I'll bite. What's the other issue?
I hesitate to state it because it causes angst from what I've seen. I want a way to print or export to PDF. Not because I'm paranoid that they are going out of business, etc, but just because I want a way to create handouts, or what not that doesn't involve a lot of copying and pasting.

It's not a show stopper for me, but is one of my "Hrmmm" points. I already own it, so it's not stopping me from buying it, more just actually using it without some frustration.
rlbeaver is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
UndeadDan

Old October 27th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbeaver View Post
I hesitate to state it because it causes angst from what I've seen. I want a way to print or export to PDF. Not because I'm paranoid that they are going out of business, etc, but just because I want a way to create handouts, or what not that doesn't involve a lot of copying and pasting.
Not paranoid. One of the other character manager apps just shut down effective immediately. Their servers go offline tomorrow and once the existing subscriptions expire the app will go into read only mode.

I'm hoping theres a button somewhere at Lone Wolf that if they ever go out of business the last guy out the door smacks it and all the anti-copying protocols go offline and we get to use HL or RW until computers refuse to run it.
UndeadDan is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old October 28th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndeadDan View Post
Not paranoid. One of the other character manager apps just shut down effective immediately. Their servers go offline tomorrow and once the existing subscriptions expire the app will go into read only mode.

I'm hoping theres a button somewhere at Lone Wolf that if they ever go out of business the last guy out the door smacks it and all the anti-copying protocols go offline and we get to use HL or RW until computers refuse to run it.
That's a risk we all take in anything we do that involves a third party. You never know what will happen if you use dropbox, RW cloud or stick your face in a fan.

But like dropbox, the company behind Realm Works has been a here a long time, very long in fact for a gamer only supporting company. So the risk isn't as high as with other newer entries.

Rob has also committed to this, even if it is something he does on his own after the melt down. However I feel this is unlikely.

LWD isn't the perfect company, but its well run and managed for a small shop dedicated to a small market, though seems too many here expect more than most 10k plus employee international mega companies offer.

I could lose all my work, but I am confident that this is an unlikely out come. However, I have zero need desire or want for printing. For me the whole point of RW is to ditch paper. However, I also realize it is not just about me, so I am also confident, when things settle down in the new year, export and printing will be here for those what need/want it.

OH and sorry about your death, but congrats on beating and coming back to the unlife.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rlbeaver

Old October 28th, 2016, 07:46 AM
While printing will be excellent, the export to XML which sounds forthcoming fairly soon, will be good enough in an unexpected disappearance of LWD. Plenty of free xml viewers and if you have any experience programming could probably create some sort of passable output in a pinch.
rlbeaver is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 30th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndeadDan View Post
I've committed to ensuring everyone can get their content out of RW repeatedly. You'll find those promises littered across these forums. But I believe those promises will become moot once we release the export/import mechanism in December.

The anti-copying protocols, however, are a different matter. If someone secures their content and gives it to you, or you buy secured content through the RW Content Market, that content will remain secured. It's not ours to give away, even if we went out of business.

That being said, we've now been doing software tools for tabletop gaming for just shy of 20 years. Lots of other companies have come and gone during that time. So I don't envision us going away at this point.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote