Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 14th, 2015, 07:21 AM
(Originally posted on our website: http://www.wolflair.com/?p=3359)

If you have Hero Lab installed on a number of computers and iPads, it can be a handful keeping track of which license number is activated on which device. We know that this can cause frustration for our users, and we’re happy to announce a new feature introduced in today’s Hero Lab update (v.7.1) that will make it easier to manage your license numbers – device nicknames!

As of this update, when you activate your Hero Lab license, you must now specify a “device nickname” for your computer (for example “Bob’s Laptop” or “Living Room PC”). After you’ve chosen a nickname, your computer will remember it in the future. and you can double-check that you’re activating the correct license number on your preferred device.

Even better, you can review which license numbers are associated with which device nicknames with just a few easy clicks! Just head to www.lonewolfdevel.com, log in with your Hero Lab account information, and select “View All Linked Licenses”. You’ll see a list of all your Hero Lab licenses and the devices they’re in use on. Before activating a license on a new device, we recommend reviewing which license is in use where, so that you know you’re using the correct license number. If you ever need to contact technical support because of problems with your Hero Lab license, this information will also help us troubleshoot more effectively.

If you’ve ever got your license numbers mixed up, this new feature could be a game changer. Update to the latest version of Hero Lab on Windows or Mac, and start setting up those device nicknames today! (This feature will also come to Hero Lab for iPad with the next update, which we anticipate releasing sometime in August.)
liz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old July 18th, 2015, 04:33 AM
Liz is speaking to a doorknob who mucked up his license info!!!

Listen to her words of wisdom, if only I had such words to heed before I ran into my issues. When I am off my holidays I will do this for sure!!

However, to LWD's credit, an email to support and less than 24hrs later I was all fixed up. LWD support is fast, efficient and a dream to deal with, so even if you run into a glitch they are here to support you.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jasharen

Send a message via Skype™ to jasharen

Old July 25th, 2015, 05:45 AM
Can I just say THANK YOU!! I have 2 laptops and 2 desktops. And I'm constantly getting the licenses mixed up.

Thankfully the good folks here have always been patient setting me back straight. But this is a simple change that just made managing hero labs installs a cinch.
jasharen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old July 29th, 2015, 11:23 AM
There's a bit of a gotcha in this feature though. Herolab treats setting this nickname as a device reassignment, which sets the clock to 120 days before it can be moved to another computer without Lone Wolf's intervention. So if you're upgrading to Windows 10 over the next couple of days, you might want to hold up on the update until you've stablised your OS.

Last edited by LazarX; July 29th, 2015 at 11:26 AM.
LazarX is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old July 29th, 2015, 01:13 PM
You sure? I've updated mine with a nickname and it says the last assignment was last year still.
AndrewD2 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old July 29th, 2015, 08:24 PM
And just to assure it, I just did my upgrade AFTER assigning my nickname and it didn't give me an early assignment requirement. Just activate fine.
AndrewD2 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote