Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

barrelv

Old December 19th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Looking for some inspiration on how to visually tackle an element of Iron Kingdom's RPG.

Player characters gets a 'damage spiral' that's made up of 3 groups of rows. Each group is 2 rows. And the number of boxes in each row is (Stat - 2) / 2 due to this odd way there are two boxes that are 'between' the two rows in the group. See the attached images for some visual idea of the madness I'm talking about.

The 'in between' boxes to the right are always there, and then it builds right-to-left. Most paper character sheets, you just black out boxes left-to-right as you don't need them.

Does anyone have any idea how I can script this? My ideas so far haven't turned out very well.
Attached Images
File Type: png NoSpiral_GM.PNG (59.1 KB, 12 views)
barrelv is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 19th, 2014, 10:25 AM
I think I'd use two different portals per damage track - one to output the double-row, and the other to output the small bit at the right end. Then, have the right end portal be centervert aligned on the bigger portal, and use trial-and-error to find the right amount of left-right spacing to make it look as if it's all one thing.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
barrelv

Old December 19th, 2014, 10:27 AM
makes sense. Ideas about how to get the actual boxes in place? I've had bad luck trying to auto-swap images in the past based on formulas.

Strike that, I broke open the Savage Worlds character sheet source and it gave me some ideas....

Last edited by barrelv; December 19th, 2014 at 10:42 AM.
barrelv is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 19th, 2014, 11:05 AM
In this thread: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=51038 (post 4)

I pasted the code that generates the tracker boxes in Cortex - what you're doing will be similar.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
barrelv

Old December 19th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Code:
            @text &= "{bmpscale 3 output_box}"
that line alone is going to be so helpful. Thank you!
barrelv is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
barrelv

Old December 19th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Somewhat related - can you not have two portals using the same Component on a sheet?
barrelv is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 19th, 2014, 12:41 PM
If the component="" in a table matches the component="" in another table, any items output in the first table will be marked as "already output" and won't be added to the second one. That's why it works to have spillover sheets that output everything that didn't fit on the previous page - the ones that fit on an earlier page get flagged as "already output" and therefore aren't printed twice.
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
barrelv

Old December 19th, 2014, 12:45 PM
well . I'll have to create a new component called 'health' with 3 things instead of trying to store the stuff I need on the 3 attributes. Not the end of the world I suppose.
barrelv is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 19th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Create a health component, move all the health-related fields to that, and then add that component to the attributes compset. Then, not only do you get to output separate lists on the printout, you can separate the health-related mechanics from the attribute mechanics, and make everything easier to debug because it's better organized.
Mathias is offline   #9 Reply With Quote