Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

steerpike65

Old May 18th, 2014, 02:21 AM
I have created some Topics covering areas such as Agriculture, Economy and Seasons for my setting as Player Info types under Other - is that the best section to create them in?

Also, I struggled to find a relevant section to input information on meta-game issues such as the scale of the setting stories, the type of characters best suited to the setting - stuff that would be found in a GM Intro to a campaign setting book. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
steerpike65 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
pjrichert

Old May 19th, 2014, 05:05 AM
Those might be a good candidate for Game Mechanics section.
pjrichert is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old May 19th, 2014, 12:35 PM
I agree with what the previous post said. I'm far from being an expert in RW, but I started creating my game universe in it.

Here is what I understood.

- anything for your actual campaign should be in the story almanac
- anything for your universe, waiting in the background for an opportunity to be in your campaign, should be in the world almanach. Switching from one to another is very easy to do.
- anything else, that is rules or information to the GM, should be in the game mechanics.

For your first question, could I ask for more details ?

Quote:
Agriculture, Economy and Seasons for my setting as Player Info types under Other
I guess this is related to some parts of your lands. I suppose the economy could be country related. I would add them as an information tab under the country. Agriculture could be city based. I would add it under the city. For the seasons, I would add it to the regions.

In my campaign, I've ordered stuff with content links. I created the following :

- a building,
contained in a city
contained in a region
contained in a country
contained in a continent
contained in a planet
contained in an universe.

It is nicely sorted due to my content linking. Every stage contains information that are common down the line. But that's my way of organizing myself, and I yet have to try my classification method in a game.

I also use a hell of a lot the linkings inside the text. So, taking back my example here above, I could say the season has been written in the country section, but I don't want to search for it. For every field under it (region, city, building), I link back with a quick link for the season. Everything in my settings are one click away.

Is that the best method ? I don't know. But that's how I did mine.
Vampyre is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
steerpike65

Old May 19th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the replies - it certainly wasn't the Game Mechanics section that I had been contemplating before your suggestions. I'll go take a look there.

My campaign setting is a large island, several hundred miles across, with a number of countries within this. The sections on Agriculture, Economy, etc. are general introductions to the setting, not country-specific. I'm definitely going to make the best use of links but those sections are just very general player information.

Thanks for the suggestions.
steerpike65 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
steerpike65

Old May 20th, 2014, 10:01 AM
OK, I have investigated the Mechanics section and I do indeed see a better section for the Scale information to go (in the Game Master section). How do I move it from the World Almanac area into the Mechanics Reference area?

Also, out of interest (and because I could need it going forward), is there any way to choose multiple articles or topics and move them all at the same time?
steerpike65 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old May 25th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steerpike65 View Post
Also, out of interest (and because I could need it going forward), is there any way to choose multiple articles or topics and move them all at the same time?
I do not believe that is possible. You can move a topic and when doing so, RW will ask if you want to move all its children along with it.

But a multi selction option is not present (CTRL + click would be the obvious way of doing it).

Well, I haven't found it.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #6 Reply With Quote