Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Zaphod Beebledoc

Old January 31st, 2017, 12:53 PM
Not sure how to put this, but here goes.

What details about the import/export files would you want us to discuss on the forums?

Farling's thread about his import from Obsidian Portal has got me excited about the prospect of importing my data from spreadsheet files.

I don't want to say the wrong thing or post screen shots of stuff you would rather be kept off the forum. Hence me asking.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old January 31st, 2017, 01:14 PM
Not sure were the big secrets are, if its about copyrighted content and such, you could always use one of those useful quick editors to blur certain text / images / passages out?

I think http://getgreenshot.org/ or https://getsharex.com/ are good.

Tried both.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old January 31st, 2017, 02:35 PM
I was thinking the more of technical details of the files, like the XML tags with the data inside. Most of the content I would be trying to put into RW is my own anyway...

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 31st, 2017, 03:00 PM
There's nothing wrong with creating an XML file structure which matches the export file that you can create from a realm.

I must say that manually creating the XML file from other data is quite hard to do, particularly getting uuids sorted properly.
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:22 AM
A thought came to me last night about uuids and signatures. Why not have a substitute for them them indicates to RW that a uuid or signature is needed?

Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
the_redbeard

Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc View Post
A thought came to me last night about uuids and signatures. Why not have a substitute for them them indicates to RW that a uuid or signature is needed?
Sounds like a valid feature request that could help those importing content.
the_redbeard is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old February 3rd, 2017, 01:34 PM
Good point, I'll pop it on the Feature board...

Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 3rd, 2017, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc View Post
RW should either create anything you omit or report a problem with the import. You shouldn't have to put in a substitute.

A second import without IDs would probably duplicate everything rather than make any attempt at conflict resolution, but that's just a guess.

Last edited by Parody; February 3rd, 2017 at 02:33 PM.
Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 3rd, 2017, 04:33 PM
I'm pretty confident that RW will not import a file that doesn't contain UUID's in a form that it expects.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:22 PM
A UUID has a very specific form in terms of hexadecimal characters and "-" separators. I don't think that RW follows the UUID rules about how the digits are chosen, since there is no need for the UUID to be unique worldwide outside of realmworks.

The only UUIDs I have in the OB script are those generated by RW in the first place when I exported the realm structure that I would use for the topics I was creating.

I would like to create my own UUIDs for the topics, so that I can re-import. I may have a look at this later today.
Farling is offline   #10 Reply With Quote