Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

popebabylon

Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:22 AM
Hi folks,

I'm a relative newbie, not so good with the code, but have had reasonable luck copying and tweaking various "things" in editor and getting results I wanted. However a racial ability from Interface Zero (Human 2.0's "Genetic Abnormality" hindrance) is causing me grief.

Essentially it allows the player to pick a Attribute that costs 2 to raise instead of 1 during creation. I immediately grabbed "Costly Attribute" from the SWD racial builder, but that doesn't seem to work (I think you need to pick an attribute for the race as a whole, rather than leaving the choice open for individual characters).

I tried looking for anything similar but, as mentioned, my code-fu is weak.

Some help would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas?
popebabylon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
tatteredking

Old March 5th, 2012, 07:34 AM
One thing you could do until a better way surfaces, is to create fove copies of the race with a specified Costly Attribute ability, for each of the 5 attributes. It's clumsy, but would most likely work. I have to check on coding in a couple costly attributes into some of my files, and will see if I can determine a better way. I have some ideas.
tatteredking is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 5th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Here you go...
Get into the Editor, and go the the Racial Properties tab. Create five versions of the Costly Attribute property, one for each Attribute. Call them something like Genetic Abnormality - Strength and so on (Don't forget to set your source!). Then create 5 Hindrances (source again...), once for each Attribute and call them the same names as the Racial Properties you created, and in each just bootstrap the Racial Property for that Attribute, fill out the rest of the fields and you're done. Save it and reload and they should show up.
CapedCrusader is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
popebabylon

Old March 5th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

tatteredking's suggestion is probably the most accurate as the 'hindrance' is a part of the racial package and I don't want to have to offset 'hindrance rewards' manually after character creation. So five versions of Human 2.0 are necessary for race selection.

The takeaway is that there is not currently a way to apply a subset of 'things' (racial properties or hindrances) to a race in order for the end user to pick one of the subset during character creation. Also an issue in Simulacrum and Hybrid races, so I'll probably end up building those races ala carte when players request them.

Cheers!
popebabylon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 5th, 2012, 10:35 PM
FYI - The hindrance limits are customizable now. If you want to allow an extra Hindrance for your campaign, it's possible now.

That being said, it sounds like it's just a normal Racial Property with a negative.

Your takeaway is correct on the race level, though.
CapedCrusader is offline   #5 Reply With Quote