Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Elfy

Old October 25th, 2009, 08:24 AM
hi =)

when you pick a power (blast 10 @ 20pp, for example), add a drawback on that power (Reduced Range 2 @ -2pp, for example), and then add an alternate power, the maximum cost of the alternate power doesn't reflect any drawbacks on the main power.

in the above example, the maximum cost of an alternate power should be (20-2=) 18pp, but the program shows it to be 20pp (and doesn't count the -2pp from the drawback) =(
Elfy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I believe this is how it's intended to work by the designers. Drawbacks on a power don't affect how many points are available for alternate powers on that power.
Colen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Elfy

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM
are you sure? if i add a feat to the main power (except for the alternate power feat), it increases the points available to the alternate power(s). it seems strange that drawbacks would not do the opposite and lower the points available for the alternate power(s) =/

i found this on the att:

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewt...489&p=#p173501

the example in this post reduces the points available by the cost of the drawback to the alternate powers. a two posts after, steve kenson doesn't say it's wrong.

i'm sure that drawbacks applied to a power are supposed to reduce the maximum points allowed for any of its alternate powers.

Last edited by Elfy; October 26th, 2009 at 04:35 PM.
Elfy is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Woodclaw

Old October 27th, 2009, 12:05 AM
This is, unfortunatly, one of the points where the rules requires some time to get fixed.

Making an alternate power from a generic power gave a point total equal to the original power final cost including all the modifiers (Power Feats, Extras, Flaws and Drawbacks), except the all the eventual Alternate Power feats and the eventual Dynamic modifiers.

While the Array Power Structure gave a total of 2 points per rank without counting the modifiers.
Woodclaw is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Elfy

Old November 14th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Colen, have you had a chance to find out which way is correct from Green Ronin? Maybe I'm wrong about it, but I'd really like to know 8)

Last edited by Elfy; November 14th, 2009 at 07:37 PM.
Elfy is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 16th, 2009, 09:08 AM
The way we do it is based on answers from GR from the early days of the files. The reason it doesn't subtract from the points available to alternate powers is because the drawback isn't really on the power; it's a drawback on the hero as a whole, which is applied to a certain power. We just allow you to add it directly to the power for convenience.
Colen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Elfy

Old November 16th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
The way we do it is based on answers from GR from the early days of the files. The reason it doesn't subtract from the points available to alternate powers is because the drawback isn't really on the power; it's a drawback on the hero as a whole, which is applied to a certain power. We just allow you to add it directly to the power for convenience.
It seems clear in Ultimate Power (on page 106) that power drawbacks are on the power, just like a reverse power feat.

"Some drawbacks (see Drawbacks, M&M, page 124) are power drawbacks, meaning they apply to a particular power rather than necessarily to the character. You can think of power drawbacks as the reverse of power feats: minor limits on the power. A power can have a total value in drawbacks equal to 1 point less than its total cost (so the power must cost at least 1 power point, regardless of how many drawbacks it has).
Power drawbacks decrease the actual cost and value of a power. This is important for things like Array and Variable structures, which are limited by the number of power points they have to allocate. So a power with 20 points worth of effects (including modifications from extras and flaws), a power feat, and a –2 point power drawback has a total cost of 19 points (20 + 1 – 2), meaning, among other things, it fits “inside” a 20-point Array or Container."

Last edited by Elfy; November 16th, 2009 at 05:28 PM.
Elfy is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Interesting, it sounds like it changed since the original conception of it. I'll email GR and see if I can get this clarified.
Colen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Elfy

Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
I've not seen anything further on this and the latest update doesn't have it changed.
Elfy is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 31st, 2010, 11:43 AM
I have this, along with a few other things, on my list of stuff to email GR about. As soon as I have a chance to put everything together, I'll send it off and see what's what.
Colen is offline   #10 Reply With Quote