View Single Post
DWeiers

Old November 20th, 2014, 11:27 PM
Since I ran into the same troubles, here my thoughts to this, hope it helps a little and doesn't make things too confusing.

1. On roll20:
One of the things that make roll20 different from other VTTs is the fact that it's completely run on a remote server.

- In a "normal" VTT the GM runs a Server-Version (or host license or something like that) of the VTT on his own Computer while the players run the player (or guest/client) version on theirs. The players have to connect directly to the GMs computer (kind of a peer to peer thing) with all the possible technical drawbacks like misconfigured routers, ports someone forgot to open and so on.
- In roll20 everything is run on a Webserver. So everybody (including the GM) is connecting to a WebSite using his/her Browser.

While this has some big advantages (one of them that no one has to buy/download/install/keep-up-to-date any software) there are as well some things that make it a little more complicated.
e.g. you have to manually upload everything and sort it into roll20 in order to show it to your players. Especially on a slow internet-connection this may take a while and may interrupt the flow of the game if you didn't do it beforehand. And even if you do it in advance it's still some double work if you're using RW as well.
On the other hand if you already have all the content uploaded and organised then it's quite easy to just show it to the players and your Internet-connection-speed is no factor at all (which is great for people like me who have to live on a relatively slow Internet-connection).

2. On running games online:
I'm running my "Rise of the Runelords"-Campaign on roll20 (just started not far through the story yet), and though i really like roll20 I start realising that its a great VTT, but not so great for storytelling. Especially when it comes to things like managing a lot of Information things start to get a little (for my taste too) complex.
This of course is where RW really shines. I would love to use it more for my online-game, but up to now it's mostly been a tool for the GM only. So up to now i keep track of everything in RW and use another tool (namely roll20) for showing stuff to the players.

This could change with the Player Edition, which is already great for in-between-session issues and some things like rob explained above. The only thing i'm missing is the player-view functionality being more usable for online-gamers like me.

In an online Game (by which i mean a remote online game so no face-to-face at all) things already got a lot of virtualization. You have to get all the stuff that's intended for the players into your computer at some point, otherwise it's not gonna work at all since you need the computer to show the stuff to your players. (Since i can only play online I didn't buy the Pathfinder Print-Books but the PDF-Versions of them which makes it much easier to get the artwork, Handouts and so on into the computer for further use).

In an Online-Game Scenario everything is virtual allready and has to be virtual. That means the usage of a computer in an online-game is different from its usage in a face-to-face session. While it's a quite handy and convenient tool and addition to a face-to-face game it's completely vital to an online-game.
This as well means in a face-to-face session you can make good use of an additional display because everybody can use it by just looking at it.
In an online-game nobody but you can make use of that additional screen.

And thats why this "#2 option" davidp pointed out is quite cumbersome to use in an online-game, because
- You have to Install additional software to use a tablet as a second (or additional) screen.
- That screen is connected via WiFi (which makes it a little slow sometimes).

So if you use this option #2 in remote-play you have a lot of hassle
- setting up everything
- having your tablet running uselessly during game sessions
- having to have a tablet in the first place!
only to artificially create a virtual display on an physically existing device in order to project (share) the contents of this display back into a virtual playing room (using Skype or something similar). - Wow, what a roundtrip :-)

So what we actually need is the online-gaming equivalent of an additional Display. And thats nothing more than a separate Window.
Since Skype can share single windows instead of a whole screen as well a window with the player view in it would IMHO already solve the problem. You just share this window to your players and everything is fine. They can move it wherever they want, make it fullscreen, display it on an additional screen (if they have one), and so on. How they use it you can't control, but you never can in an online-game anyway.
But you as a GM can just move the window out of view, minimise it or whatever and continue work as if you had an additional screen with player view on it facing to your players in a face-to-face setting.

So if possible please give us the option to display player view not only in fullscreen and on another Display, but also in a separate Window (which is something i allready suggested somewhere on another thread – I think, it was in the features request section).

IMHO this in combination with software like Skype would be kind of a killer feature for online-gamers. With this you could use RW for both online-game-sessions as well as face-to-face sessions in almost the same way. And as a benefit it would save the online-GM a lot of work and time putting information into roll20 or other VTTs, because you could use roll20 for the battle maps (what it's really made for) and leave the information management and the storytelling part to RW (things it really is superior at).

Hope my explanation wasn't too confusing.
Best regards
Daniel

Last edited by DWeiers; November 20th, 2014 at 11:40 PM. Reason: ending was bad, typing errors :-)
DWeiers is offline   #10 Reply With Quote