Thread: Projector view
View Single Post
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 21st, 2015, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomsen9 View Post
I am not arguing this point. The only reason I stated it might happen sometime in the future was due to a conversation I had with Rob doing Paizocon. He stated that they were leaving the door open to possibly to go that direction in the future, but had no plans to do so anytime soon. So in my mind it is not impossible but also not probable.
Interesting, and good to know... certainly not Rob's "Published" stance. Choices are always a good thing... I just hope they complete the promises already mounting up before undertaking new "possibilities".

Quote:
I know next to nothing about coding. So I put things in this forum to see what is possible, what is probable, and what is just way out.
I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous, by no means am I a Shadowchemosh, Parody or several others that earn their keep dealing with programing or IT challenges. It is more a passive hobby I enjoy than a need to further my career.

Quote:
You and I have similar setups. IIRC you use a VTT program to your two monitors in your table and player view to the monitor behind you. I do not use a VTT at all. We prefer to use mini's.
I prefer mini as well (stopped counting at 4k) but do utilize a VTT for maps (saves time drawing) and large scale combats (tokens come in handy here)
BUT, don't use RW for the reveal as it is too cumbersome (IMO) for actual game play. I use Fog of War, to detail out maps explored for any that want to look at it in between game sessions.
Quote:
What I would like to be able to do is send the smart image of the map to my projector so I can use fog of world to incrementally reveal the map as they explore, and be able to send picture (simple) images of the NPC's and Player handouts to the the monitor behind me.
Hummm see no easy solution for this approach... This is also why I chose to go with two different programs that specialize in each application.

I allow RW (until more is fully integrated and realized) to do very little interaction with the players. I utilize it primarily as a world management tool. I can see where others would use differently, but until there are calendar, better controls on "what is / isn't revealed", I wait.
All of my handouts, views, etc I consolidate as PDF & go into a folder for the game date and are attached to RW postmortem based on what was and was not "Explored".

As to maps, without multiple reveal tools, and nested maps I find RW too cumbersome. (JMO) So I use D20pro (for now ultimate on the horizon) to manage the mapping. I can preload upwards of 20 maps at one time and in one click go from map to map.... A bonus is the Export Feature that Herolab has with D20pro that totes all the stats & data (which to be honest I don't use much in D20pro), but best of all it attaches the pictures. With one click I can show the butcher looks like this, or the monster down the hall looks like that...

D20pro's reveal is far superior to RW as well, you can predefine any shape you want to reveal as an overlay and simply click on that area to reveal as you go.
Lastly, if saved it keeps track of all HP and locations

Quote:
Information that would be interesting to me is to see how many DM's in our community are using more than one screen to display information to their players. And of those that do how many are using a second program to run their maps?
See above.. and I agree, there are many approaches, would be interesting to hear the pluses and minuses to each approach....
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #25 Reply With Quote