View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old May 30th, 2015, 09:28 PM
Hi Fenloh, welcome to the forums. There have been other threads about usability, especially for new users and people tend to have strong opinions regarding how to simplify/improve/add-to/remove-from the interface (e.g, see: here)

I think that you will find much of what you request is on the developer's to-do list. See Liz's forum post: RealmWorks Feature Survey—Charting the Future.

Regarding Font settings. This seems to be a fairly common request and is on the developer's to-do list. See: here.

Regarding side panels, I'm not sure I understand what your issue with them is. Personally I find them very helpful. You mention that you use a large (and perhaps multiple) screens, so I don't think that screen space is an issue for you. But if needed, the right-column panel can be easily collapsed. The left column can be resized a bit but not collapsed. It would be nice is you could drag to undock and redock them in other parts of the interface or keep them free floating and move to another screen. I use software for work that has a very panel-heavy interface and I can drag any panel and then light blue arrows appear and if I drag the panel to an arrow, it will dock the panel in that part of the screen. If I drag it on top of another panel, it will make that panel in to a tabbed interface that I can use to toggle among the panels placed in the same spot. It also has a reset button to put every back to default settings and the ability to save multiple layouts. While having similar functionality in RealmWorks would be nice, I don't think that the panels are that many or that complicated that it is needed. The ability to collapse them out of the way and to undock them to put onto another window would, however, be welcome.

Regarding the almanacs, you can create multiple story almanacs. I would like to be able to create MANY more than currently allowed, but you can certainly create a small number now, which is VERY helpful for game prep. But for your use case, once the Content Market goes live, you'll be able to make copies of your world so that you can use in multiple campaigns. I believe that you will also be able to create a master world, and any edits to can be updated in the realms that use its content. But we are waiting for it to be released to see how well that works. To better understand how the CM content will interact with realms that use it see Rob's detailed post on Answers to Assorted Cloud Service and Sync Questions.

Regarding the Story Board, I personally have no issues with it, but there are other that would like it to do much more than it currently does. See, e.g., this thread.

I don't use the timeline. Without custom calendars, I'm not finding it very useful. Now that my campaign is several session in and I'm entering dates in (since I can easily enter a gregorian date and convert to other calendars on a going forward basis), it may start to have some use. But since I can't easily enter in past dates (I'm do lazy to do the calendrical calculations), I really haven't bothered with the Time Line. As I wrote this, I checked out the Time Line and was surprised to learn that the filtering functionality of the navigation panel does not work with the Time Line view. I can see how this would became a problem as the volume of events grows. Filtering would make the Time Line much more useful, but only after custom calendars are supported.

Again, welcome to the forum. As you use RealmWorks, post your questions here. The user community is great and I've found it to be very helpful. Also, while it can be frustrating at times, I've found it to be a great aid to my world building and game mastering. There simply is nothing else I've seen the compares to Realm Works for campaign management. Also, the program is actively developed and the development team is very communicative.
MNBlockHead is offline   #2 Reply With Quote