View Single Post
Parody

Old March 15th, 2018, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
? There were way more than 519 pathfinder tables at GenCon 2017. You must not have counted the PFS stuff.
That count includes all of PFS; however, it's events, not tables or player-hours. Many events of both systems are multiple tables. There were also a lot of Paizo's tables diverted to Starfinder.

Normally I'd do this sort of analysis in player-hours, but I wasn't about to do that on my phone at 1:30 in the morning. Now that I'm at a computer, I can do that analysis. (You can do it too by downloading the data from their website; I forgot to do a "week of the convention" download this year, unfortunately, but the same sort of data is available from Gen Con's website during the convention season.)

There were 51829 Pathfinder player-hours available vs. 37227 for D&D, roughly 40% more spots for players. If you bundle in Starfinder's 9870, that's 61699 and roughly 66% more. So there were more places for Pathfinder players, but not as many as I might have expected given Paizo's presence and Wizards/Hasbro's non-involvement.

Unfortunately, these numbers don't tell us how many of those player-hours were actually played as Gen Con doesn't release that information. That's what I'd really like to see for this sort of comparison.

Last edited by Parody; March 15th, 2018 at 07:51 AM.
Parody is offline   #35 Reply With Quote