View Single Post
Jamz

Old October 28th, 2016, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Um, I think you're overlooking a very important aspect of all this. An example will help illustrate my concern. Let's say that User1 puts together a few of the Pathfinder rulebooks and distributes them under the OGL. Now User2 does the same thing. You adopt the material from User1 for whatever reason. Then User2 becomes the "fan-favorite" source and User1 abandons his efforts. So now you want to switch to the material from User2. Sounds good so far, right?

You import everything from User2. You now have duplicates of everything that was done by both User1 and User2. So you have go and clean all that content from User1 out. But wait. The content in your realm is all linked to the material from User1. So you also have to re-link all your content to the new material from User2. Both of those steps are going to be extremely annoying, right?

There's no problem with the wild west for people creating their own content. It will work fine for that, and I'm not worried in the slightest. The gotcha is with OGL material that can be provided by lots of different users that overlaps. Users will experience both the issues that I outlined above, and it will get even more convoluted if there are a half-dozen users providing the same content instead of just two.

I hope that makes more sense!
Is there a way (or will there be a way) for multiple users to share a "Content Owner ID"?

For example, say 3 friends start a "company" and produce content for the market, can any of the 3 update said content? Same question for a "Community Project"...

Or should we just, say, share the DB raw via something like GitHub and the users would have to check in/out the whole DB to modify content?

I guess another way to "Sheriff" this whole thing would be someone, lets say ShadowChemosh, offers a "Community Base Realm" and other users submits individual books as they do them. The sheriff's job would be to import them into his realm, make sure things are good, then publish the combined effort?

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #48 Reply With Quote