View Single Post
Silveras

Old May 14th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Tags are primarily of use (to me) for filtering.

Actually, tags are pretty useless to me. Full-text search can give me almost the same results as using Tags for filtering, with the added bonus of linking to the detailed information about the Topic. So I almost never use Tags.

I am currently struggling with entering the Mechanics for Pathfinder; rather than un-protect Article categories just to fix the poorly-selected default tags (really.. in several cases, ANY default is going to be wrong significantly more often than it is correct -- "Combat" for Feats, for example -- and the cumbersome interface for Tags adds extra steps to remove the incorrect default and add the correct tag).

I say "struggling" because I am trying to use the tag-based formats currently designed as the official version.. and they're incredibly frustrating to me. It would be so much easier to cut-and-paste the entire text for a spell or a feat ... but the tags make entering each Feat at least twice as much of a chore as it needs to be, and each spell at least 10x the work it needs to be. Added to that, it confounds me why Feats have a specific Tag field for Type, named fields for Requirements and Benefits, but NOT any fields for the "Normal" or "Special" elements that, while not part of all Feats, are still pretty common.

So.. really... I've modified my copies to work for me. I added "Normal" and "Special" labeled text fields for Feats, and a Tag field for "Properties" of spells (with things like "Dismissable", "Dischargeable", "Shapable". "Can be made permanent on Person", "Can be made permanent on Objects").

Short version: Many, many of the tag fields are more an obstacle than a help to me.
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote