View Single Post
Parody

Old May 14th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepacelli View Post
Is this better, duplicating a category versus unprotecting it?
I use custom Categories and Tag Domains for almost everything in my Paranoia realm. I haven't gone that far in my WIP "generic fantasy world", but it's systemless at this point and my Topics don't have a ton of info yet.

An alternative way to keep the Global Category but work around its defaults is to create a Topic/Article as a template with your settings and duplicate that Topic/Article to create a new item.

Quote:
Since it's a tag, it does not link to my Groups: Religious Copy of Abadar. But if I copy these selected tags to the text box, I can link it.
My main use of Tags is single-item selection, as a replacement for not having a combo box (dropdown menu) type of Snippet for entering data bits where the options will rarely change and linking isn't required. I don't use multi-item Tag Snippets; I either insert multiple single-item Tag Snippets or use some variant of a text snippet instead.

Quote:
Is there a way to link a tag to a category?
Tags that link to a Topic/Article have been requested before as a feature, if you want to look around the Request forum and add your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
It's pretty clear the person(s) who designed the Pathfinder realm had not used RW much and had no idea what tags did or how they are used in the program.
Given that Pathfinder has been the default system for most of the time the program's been around, I don't think anyone (especially not the developers) knew how tags would actually be used in the wild. There was a lot of "this is how we recommend you use it" in the documentation, but you know that didn't stop the folks here. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I'm assuming that there will be a complete overhaul of the realm at a later date. As it stands it is unusable.
Don't hold your breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
I kind of wish I could argue with that.
The defaults on Creatures (Monsters?) make them CR 1 Humanoid (Hunan) Fighters. Wow. That combination will be wrong 99.99999 % of the time.
Any one of those elements will be wrong 80+% of the time.
True, defaults are only useful if they're common enough.

My own annoyance with the D&D/Pathfinder setup is having all of the class and level combinations together to marking which lists include a spell. I'd want to pick class and level from separate dropdowns, but there's no such thing in RW. You could put the number into the text box and just pick a class per snippet, but then it's not searchable.

Designing customizable user interfaces sucks. :(

Last edited by Parody; May 14th, 2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: I kept adding stuff. Sorry.
Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote