View Single Post
Parody

Old April 24th, 2017, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit View Post
Well the goal is (to avoid issues in the future), to eliminate my duplicate categories, converting my topics based on them into standard global categories. Then I would customize the global categories.
My recommendation is to stick with your own categories rather than customizing the Globals if you don't want to use their organization.

Quote:
I've also added plenty of tags in the tag domains, but some of the 5e ones look rather enticing. Ideally I could snag what they've done without losing what I've done.
I have avoided adding new tags to the Global Domains, making new Domains instead if I wanted to customize them. I have had tags disappear when they were in the previous system's Globals but not the new ones, so be on the lookout for that.

Quote:
As an aside, one of the biggest issues I have with customizing global categories is that you can't change the ordering of sections, or move snippets from one section to another. Some of my duplication problems come from creating new stuff to try to get around that. I really wish that limitation would change.
That's going against the purpose of the Global items, though. They exist to facilitate selling products with uniform organization and system-defined terms so that folks buying content know that it matches with the stated game system, know what various Topics/Articles are going to look like, and can integrate it into their other stuff reasonably well.

So do you plan on buying/importing or selling content? If not then there's not much point in converting back to the Global Categories, though you may want to convert the system to get the predefined Tags.

Given that you said the system is D&D 5e, you may want to wait for the release of the SRD and more fleshed-out content than Pixies to see which direction is right for you. For now you could do a trial conversion (perhaps in a duplicate of your realm) and play with a few Topics/Articles just to see if you think it's going to be worth it given the limitations.

(It's a lot easier when your system isn't going to have content. :)

Last edited by Parody; April 24th, 2017 at 09:56 PM.
Parody is offline   #9 Reply With Quote