View Single Post
Cammagno

Old November 13th, 2018, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
This is a really really bad idea. You might not screw it up but you'd never be able to import anything using the default categories. Also anyone who did what you suggest who exported anything would destroy the realms of anyone who imported the material.

Just make a copy of the built in categories, make your changes and then hide the protected ones and use your new ones.
Listen, I know what you mean, but the remove protection is there for some reason, right? And it allows for deep editing, but with some flaws. As it is right now, you can change almost everything in an unprotected category (messing up everything if someone import it) but not some important things, such as the possibility to move one category as a subcategory of another one, and so on. I really would like that "remove protection", that should be used very carefully, I agree with you, allows full editing.

Generally speaking, the behaviour that you (and RW itself) suggest sure is the best one in most of the cases, and I also used it. But there are cases in which it's not practical, and I suppose that this is the reason which made Rob include Remove protection in RW.
For example, consider my actual Realm, which is set in a game system which is directly derived from Pathfinder but with some changes, and, more important, it's not in English, it's in Italian. This means that it uses 90% of the Pathfinder mechancs, but that I have to make 10% of changes (and if it was only this, I could do as you suggest), but I also have to translate *everything*. Doing this by editing the original categories and tags is an hard work, but doing it by dupicating each of them, recreating their hierarchical relationship and than hiding all the original categoris make it much harder. And with no benefit, because I will never export it for basic Pathfinder, it would be meaningless

Last edited by Cammagno; November 13th, 2018 at 02:37 AM.
Cammagno is offline   #9 Reply With Quote