View Single Post
Bluefool

Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:07 AM
OK, I'm working away this morning, and I get up to go fix lunch. Before I go, my file is working fine, everything has been recompiled and tested, works beautifully.

I get back from lunch, sit down to look at whats next, and...

Army Builder starts. It opens my data file. I select a unit. I select an option for the unit. Army builder crashes to desktop, no error messages.

It does this with any option.

It *dosen't* crash on other data files. (Including a different race in mine)

After a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth, and a bit of beating my head into the concrete outside again, I sit down and make a list of exactly what I had been working on before lunch, and start ripping it out bit by bit with compiles and test after each bit.

When I remove an option with a priority of 5500, the crashes stop. The option was a footnote, with a link to a unit. (So that the unit would add, and the info in the description would get output as a footnote...looked great....once ).

I figure the best chance is I violated a rule I missed, but which one?

So, knowing its very possible that *wasn't* it and I just got lucky on the deletes, a couple of questions:

1. I know priority defaults to 100. But is there an upper limit? I had been splitting groups by 1000's to make it easy to keep track of a variety of items. Bad idea?

2. What else may have caused this? What should I have started looking for?

3. Why would it have tested fine, and then with no recompile at all did it start failing? I realize it may be impossible to ever know the real answer (which is far more likely to be user error than anything else), but I want to avoid it in the future.

Thanks!
Bluefool is offline   #1 Reply With Quote