View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 21st, 2016, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craghammer View Post
Imho, removing Fonts from the system is not a very viable option. I have two reasons this is not good (at least for me); 1: Windows won't let me (may be policy rules), 2: I need a lot of fonts for my professional and private work.
One option would be to load only the necessary fonts into the RW runtime, but by using 3rd party librarys like DevExpress you might not be able to control that, but that sounds weird to me as a .NET developer.
Have you explored the various UI improvements that DevExpress offers? The UI could (in the far future when you have time) benefit from some upgrades to a more modern UI

Is there any work on moving RW to 64-bit?
It's NOT presented as something that users SHOULD do. It's merely presented as an option. We're informing users of what's going on with their system and the implications it has on their experience using Realm Works. It's entirely up to the user regarding what they choose, and some users won't be able to do anything about it, even if they want to. But lots of casual computer users will be completely unaware of all the silly fonts that are cluttering up their system, and they may appreciate being able to reclaim a lot of that essentially wasted memory.

As I indicated up-thread, we haven't done a thorough investigation regarding the font loading within DevExpress, but there is no readily apparent solution we've found. I'm pretty sure it would be possible, but then it's a question of how much work is involved and whether we should be spending our time on that instead of the many other features users are clamoring for. If you know of a quick solution with DevExpress, please let us know.

Your suggestion of revamping the UI to take advantage of recent improvements to DevExpress has one major drawback. Reworking the UI will entail LOTS of work that will result in no forward progress on new capabilities while that is going on. Given how loudly many users have been clamoring for a laundry list of new features, that would probably go over poorly with a lot of users. It's a damned-if-we-do, damned-if-we-don't situation.

Migrating RW to 64-bit is something we've looked into, but we haven't actively pursued it yet. It will entail a fair bit of work to accomplish due to a few key factors. Ultimately, a 64-bit solution looks to be the best solution overall. However, we've been focused on getting the Content Market into place, so work on stuff like that has not yet been undertaken.
rob is offline   #17 Reply With Quote