View Single Post
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 8th, 2006, 05:01 PM
When the converter was written, it was tested against the Mordheim files. The resulting files were a horrendously messy pig. This is largely due to a small number (less than 10) of silly things done within the V2.x data files that forced the converter to jump through lots of major hoops and generate vast amounts of special handling. After going in to the V2.x files and cleaning up about a half-dozen things, the converted files were shrunk to about one quarter the size from the first conversion.

Unfortunately, that was a year ago and I have no recollection of the specific things I modified in the V2.x files. I can definitely say that they were pretty easy to spot, since I only spent a couple hours with the Mordheim files.

Anyways, if you intend to convert the Mordheim files, definitely look into cleaning up the original V2.x files before conversion. It will pay off hugely in the resulting V3.x data files.

Another option to consider would be to get a team together to work on the Mordheim files. There are so many warbands that it would take one person a huge amount of time to do them all. However, each warband is very small in scope (compared to games like WFB and 40K). If one person spent the time to put together the basic framework for everything and then implemented a few of the core warbands, others could very readily join in to implement separate warbands. This would enable the core Mordheim data files to be up and running relatively quickly and then evolve steadily to cover all the various warbands. If GW allowed us to be involved in writing the data files, we'd have already done this. However, this is definitely a viable option for someone out there to consider.

Hope this helps,
Rob

At 07:00 PM 1/1/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
Email me if you want my converted files. It zips down to 2.5 megs, expands to over 40 megs. It took a lot of processing power to convert the original 2.x data.
rob is offline   #14 Reply With Quote