View Single Post
Merion

Old November 12th, 2018, 02:19 AM
I know the usual reactions when someone mentions Realm Works and VTT in the same breath, so before you get out your pitchforks and torches:

Okay? We're good? Great, now hear me out!
I'm not saying LWD should throw its already spread out resources into trying to convert RW into a VTT which was never intended. But there are several improvements that would make the tool better imho and incrementally lead RW being a quasi-VTT. So let me list some features I'd love to see:
  • Dice roller - been on the backlog for a while I think
  • Being able to place icons for my PCs on the map
  • Being able to move these around as a GM
  • Being able to likewise place (and move) enemies and neutral NPCs
    Right now, I use the player view to show dungeon and other maps (love the fog of world!), NPC, monster and atmospheric pics. But when it comes down to battle, I print out the battle maps and we fidget around with minis. Want to do this on the big screen, too!
  • Importing the statblock of PCs from HLO
  • As long as I'm online this could be done on the fly
  • Speaking of on the fly, this then could let me see the current HP and conditions of each character
  • Next logical step would be to change and apply conditions (and XP) as a DM
  • Control of the tactical console (I know, its not even in HLO yet) from within Realm Works
  • and finally Live Sharing of Player View over the Internet

There are probably more, but those came to me mind right now.
I think most of these features would benefit the tool, some are likely easier to implement than others, but if you do implement even some of these - mostly quality of life - features you'll probably end up with something close to a VTT with a heavyweight campaign management system behind it.
For reference: I use HLO as player and RW as a DM and am a great fan of both. But I see a) room for improvement and b) market pressure from the VTTs.

Having said that, you can now pick up your pitchforks and torches again and roast away
Merion is offline   #1 Reply With Quote