View Single Post
cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 26th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't call any edition of D&D or AD&D complex.

1st and 2nd Ed were about as simple as it gets.... 3.x added feats and a bunch of stuff, but it wasn't complex. Not when All my Rogue/Swashbuckler ever cared about was flanking something, and just going home when the adventure involved slimes, undead, constructs, demons, etc. My 4e Rogue/Fighter with feats and builds that turn him into a Swashbuckler type was far more versatility and complexity than his 3.5e version ever did.

4e started out too simple, got pretty complex to the point I wasn't seeing the same builds over and over via LFR, and then went to the land of too simple with Essentials.

But if you want a complex game, go play Traveller The New Era. Pick up a copy of Fire Fusion and Steel and have fun making all the equipment and star ships and vehicles for your campaign. Or play Shadowrun, or Gurps, or WoD. But the D&D system will never be complex provided it has the silliness of levels and experience points.

WoTC actually had me buying stuff until the books turned into nothing more than powers/equipment/feats. At that point an Electronic character builder that I could update with errata was far better than the printed books. Paying $80 a year to keep access to that has become more cost effective than buying books that get Erratad to the point of uselessness.
cryptoknight is offline   #12 Reply With Quote