View Single Post
Dysfunctional_apps

Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofdragons
me, I prefer the little thing to the pop-up. sure, less screen space on my droid 4, but I can ignore the little banner well enough. However, if you're going for as annoying as possible to push people towards a purchase, the pop up would definitely annoy me more.
On phones, the banner is the smallest pre-set size that adView provides, you can do custom sizes but I have read that you might get blank ads due to weird sizes so have avoided that so I don't get in trouble with Google for not adhering to their guidelines.

I'm currently coding a UI revamp, this will allow tablets to utilise the full screen rather than having it split as it currently is. This will allow small tablets to benefit from a portrait mode.

I am also making a portrait mode for phones as well, this is the bit taking time as the portrait mode on tablets is just the normal view but shrunk a bit to fit in the narrower space. This does not work very well on phones, so I am making a new view especially for phones.

Once the portrait mode is enabled for phones the banner should be less intrusive than before.

I am also considering giving users the option to choose between the pop-ups and banner, because whilst it's nice for people to purchase the paid for version, I'd still like to give people the chance to try it out and be happy with the functionality first, if they open it and just see a chunk of the screen taken up by adverts they may not even try to get to like the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce
I'd agree with this. I'm unlikely to use the app on my little phone, and on my tablet the small ad is much easier to ignore as long as it isn't set up to obscure something important (like in one crappy die rolling app I tried out).
I agree that is quite annoying, and is actually against Google's guidelines.
Dysfunctional_apps is offline   #16 Reply With Quote