View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old December 27th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Wow, great posts. I'm definitely not using the storyboard to its full potential. Rob's post gave some excellent ideas on how to better use them in conjunction with plotline topics and everyone else's posts showed what limitations I may eventually run into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
I've been using Visio diagrams, easy to set up, but no linking with RW unfortunately .
What I am thinking of doing for very complex plots is to create them in Blueworks Live, Visio, or Xmind, save to an image and then make a smart map from the image.

That way I could graph out exceptionally complex plots, link the nodes and even the arrows. I can also use different icons, node shapes, colors, and arrow forms. You can use as smart map in a navigation pane just as you can a plot, so I really lose no functionality with this approach.

The only downside is that I have to use a third-party program for it. But I use TP programs to create maps and to manage text snippets, and I could create complex plot lines much quicker in Blueworks or Visio. Unlike calendars and journals, I don't feel as strongly about needing to have this functionality in RW, since it is unlikely that RW's storyboard will ever have the functionality of a professional diagram tool, process mapper, or mind mapper; certainly not in the near future.

I still use the story board for more simple adventures and I use it quite a bit, but other tools would be better for very complex stories that I want mapped out at a fairly granular detail. Making a smart map out of an exported image from a more robust diagramming tool seems like the most elegant solution in these situations.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #20 Reply With Quote