View Single Post
MNBlockHead

Old July 2nd, 2017, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYGamer View Post
I definitely don't mind the UI in D&D Beyond, and as has already been said, it is particularly well suited for mobile devices. But there is a pause while data is accessed when you make a choice during character creation, which causes the screen to gray out and a little spinning working symbol to appear. It is only for a second, but it gets old. I wonder if they will optimize the communication between the server and front end to get rid of that.
Worse, often it hangs on that spinning circle. I am waiting for other beta testers to help iron the kinks out. Right not, I've been frustrated too many times with lost work.

But I don't want to dump on Twitch or WoTC, I actually very bullish on DnD Beyond. This is a very different situation than the Morningstar debacle.

I would hope that the license with DnD Beyond and the various VTTs would mean that there is hope for an official license for Hero Lab. Even if I subscribe to DnD Beyond, I would still use Hero Lab for my homebrew campaign world because of its integration with RealmWorks.

I see DnD Beyond being useful for a quick one-off adventure, where you can use it to quickly build a character, including giving a few preferences and having it randomize the rest. DnD Beyond will be nice for players, especially those new to the game that need a lot of handholding. But as a DM, I don't find the character builder that compelling without a tactical console and other in-game DM tools.

If I subscribe to DnD Beyond, it would be mostly for the universal search of all licensed content.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #7 Reply With Quote