Thread: Starfinder
View Single Post
Winterfyre

Old August 29th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpomatic View Post
I don't think anything has changed. They said Starfinder would drop at the end of the month but neglected to say how it would drop. We now know it's HLO that is dropping. Personally, I think it sucks that it won't be for the desktop version anytime soon (if ever) but I understand. Why make so many different versions of the same system when all these systems access the same internet. As much as I don't like subscription services, I don't mind paying $2 a month for access. Maybe there will be discounts if you pay more up front.
I believe they said it would drop at the end of this month, but are now stating a beta starts end of next month for a select few with most people not having access until later, and with HLO being entirely new, much much later is a possibility.

They've also refused to clarify any of the pertinent details requested except that it will be a HLO only release.

You will still need to buy data packs.

You will also need to pay a subscription.

Rumors abound though.

It may be an online internet connection required all the time release.

You may not be able to use the data packs you paid for if your subscription runs out.

Subscription could increase (will increase. Subscriptions ALWAYS increase in price)

Online product could cease to work at all if server / company goes down (unlike current product)

It may be web browser based, which could be heavily affected by bandwidth.

All of that's bad.

The only upsides I've seen rumored are

They can do spaceships (apparently impossible in current version)

Using a web browser based system may mean we can use android tablets.

ALL of which I would have liked to have had at least some hint at before gencon and sinking $200+ into starfinder.
Winterfyre is offline   #31