View Single Post
Parody

Old March 14th, 2018, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Lately to add .. WOC's waning presence in trade venues of various conventions. For just one example, there were far more PFF games to be played than all other D&D editions combined at last years 50 Gencon , and this is one of the worlds largest table top gaming conventions, and WOC presence was sparse at best.... that conveys to me based on Gencon Model, that PFF is the most popular system currently...
At Gen Con Indy 2017, looking only at RPGs, there were 747 D&D events across the various versions vs. 519 Pathfinder events. (Source: gencon.highprogrammer.com; I'd do my own number crunching but I'm on my phone.)

Wizards/Hasbro stopped having an official presence at Gen Con a few years ago and has another group organize Adventures League events. They said they'd rather put marketing efforts into the game stores vs. having a large convention presence.

Smaller conventions are poor reflections of the industry as the events are dominated by the local folks who want to run things. For example, at two nearby cons with roughly 1500 individual attendees that I attended last year, one was more PF than D&D and the other was much more D&D.

ObTopic: I'm sure Paizo's sales will go down between now and the release of Pathfinder 2 in 2019, and it will ripple to third parties like LWD. How well the (free!) playtest version is received should show how much of a rebound to expect. In theory this should hit Hero Lab more than Realm Works, if/when the store is up and running.

Last edited by Parody; March 14th, 2018 at 10:32 PM.
Parody is offline   #31 Reply With Quote